6W6 as a driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2005, 11:29 AM   #1
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Default 6w6 as a driver

Hi guys:

I did a SE amp with NOS GE 6w6's and like the sound a lot. Now they are wired as triode with a 100 ohm resistor, there's a little blue glow in both valves, is this a problem?

Operating point is: 320v anode, 27mA dropping 38 volts in the cathode. About 8,5 watts dissp.: maximun is 10. I know 320 is over the maximun for this valve(300) but i've heard American NOS are tough and can stand the abuse. But not sure so i ask.

Another question concerning this valve. I saw the Karma amplifier wich uses this valve as a driver, saying is a sleeper? tube, very linear and very low distortion. Now could somebody provided me with operating points to use this tube as a driver? Very similar as a 45 i've read. But don't know.

Thanks in advance,

al
Old 14th September 2005, 03:59 PM   #2
amperex is offline amperex  United States
diyAudio Member

I did not review voltages, but a blue glow is not an issue. I read triode connected 6W6GT are linear & good sounding. You may wish to try some other manufactures as well. I seen these tubes sell for NOS at $2.50 each on epay.
Old 14th September 2005, 11:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
6W6's only shortcoming is low plate dissipation. Next to that it's a great tube with high current capacity, especially given the low screen voltage. The perfect vertical sweep tetrode, but then, linearity isn't bad when brought over to audio either!

Triode mode is just fine for tubes with really low Vs ratings because the plate still attracts more electrons than the screen and excess screen dissipation isn't a concern.

Tim
Old 15th September 2005, 03:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

So would 6W6 make a good driver tube? I ask because I have at least a dozen NOS ones and they would look nice driving a pair of EL-34s.
John.....
Old 15th September 2005, 10:06 AM   #5
amperex is offline amperex  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Yes.....

Triode connected 6W6 are very good & linear- excellent driver tube overlooked by many audiophiles..
Old 15th September 2005, 04:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answers.

Ok, i will find the correct operating points in some schematic in which the 45 drives a 300b or something, have read that 6w6 can replace the 45 as a driver with no need for adjustments, other than the filament voltage.

About the blue glow...it went worse so i did some tests. It happens that when i remove the capacitor and leave the cathode unbypassed the blue dissappears I'm using a 220uf 100 volts cap. Really confused here, any ideas?

Thanks,

Al
Old 15th September 2005, 09:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Geez, WTH you need a tube half as big as the output for?! Even a 100MHz transmitter, using an EL34, which doesn't really even handle 100MHz (hence my point) doesn't need anywhere near that much drive!

I've whipped 6W6s before and never noticed any blue glow, it might be parasitic oscillation? That would possibly explain the cathode bypass response. You put in a screen grid stopper resistor, right?

Tim
Old 16th September 2005, 12:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hey Tim, guess you never looked at what Sakuma did Used an 845 to drive another 845. The preamp might have been an 801, not sure. This gets me thinking about the 6W6s in my collection...
Old 16th September 2005, 06:52 AM   #9
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
320 - 38 = 282, 282 < 300

anyways, they can probably take a fair bit more than 300 without blowing up.

but max plate voltage is in reference to the cathode, not ground.
Old 17th September 2005, 05:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The SE6W6 is finally completed, i had a bad solder which was causing me headaches, now it's doing fine. In the future i'll try 6v6īs to compare.

Quote:
Geez, WTH you need a tube half as big as the output for?! Even a 100MHz transmitter, using an EL34, which doesn't really even handle 100MHz (hence my point) doesn't need anywhere near that much drive!
Well a 6dj8 is driving the 6w6 in my amp. But i like experimenting and i thought about the possibility of using the 6w6 as a driver for another project , thatīs all.

Quote:
but max plate voltage is in reference to the cathode, not ground
This sentence clears many doubts i had.

This is all, i'll post the pic of my amp soon. Thanks to all who helped.

Al.

Hide this!Advertise here!