Stereo build- Mikael Abdellah's KT88 SE amp - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2010, 02:56 AM   #111
cryo is offline cryo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Kt-88

Here is the undercarriage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diyamp2.jpg (44.9 KB, 571 views)
Old 13th January 2010, 11:46 AM   #112
diyAudio Member

I like the nice compact layout! I wish mine was a little smaller, and lighter
Who's power transformer is that? I personally prefer the lay-down type transformers.
Good work.

Glenn

[EDIT]
You've got to try the LED biasing for the 6N1P, VERY nice sounding!
Old 12th May 2010, 10:29 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Default KT88 Bread Board amp with no driver stage.

I think this thread is still about SE KT88s and the like. I just built a SE amp which started with KT88 but found the Back Sable EL34s gave more power and and better frequency response. I wanted to bring back the Bread Board amp (BBAmp said Be Bamp) but wanted it to look more than a science experiment. To this end I used a highly sanded and multi-beeswaxed Australian pine board and hid the wiring. Also the ugly Edor open OPTs were canned which also provided a fixture for the RCAs and speaker binders.

In this build there is no driver stage. I hope there was enough drive from my two stage tube preamp but this failed. So after cathode current and HT+ was increased matched Black Sables EL34s replaced the JJ BLue Glass KT88s to acheive more gain. Also a high performance OPAMP preamp (Prada627) was placed between my upgraded Oppo 980H and tube pre to give sufficient gain and drive. The amp is exceptionly quiet. PS has 100uf cap-10H 200mA choke-100uf cap. The quietest amp I have ever built. No NFB of course.

Through my 91db efficient Osborn Eclipse three ways towers there is plenty of volume. The amp tested 17hz to 47Khz with a 5.6ohm resistive load (speakers are 6ohm). The sound is neutral, very transparent with exceptional blacks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBAmpRearSS.jpg (154.5 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg BBAmpSS.jpg (157.8 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg BBAmpOPTSS.jpg (152.2 KB, 428 views)

Last edited by mhouston; 12th May 2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 12th May 2010, 10:48 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryo View Post
Someone asked if there were any other builders besides Sherman. This is my iteration. Sherman actually helped me a lot on this.

It is very nice sounding, won't drive anything big, but that's not my need.

Good luck with yours!

-cryo
Beautiful craftsmanship. very well done. Million dollar base.

Here's a few of my latest SE UL/Triode KT88 offerings. I'm building under the retro-thermionic banner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KitAmpTopSmall.jpg (160.7 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg KitAmpUnderSmall.jpg (208.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg MerlotJJSGallery.jpg (151.8 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg DiodeRecS.jpg (338.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg MerlotBlackTopS.jpg (336.7 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by mhouston; 12th May 2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:55 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

I had recently posted under this thread that I used Black Sables in my Be Bamp. I had to go back to KT88s. Reason being I was pulling about 32 watts RMS from the Sables which would have stuffed them very quickly. I have gone back to the JJ Blue Glass KT88s which can take the 365 volts plate to cathode and the 92mA cathode current.

I have picked up a bit more bottom end and when driving my entire system I can get 25hz into the speakers as a lower 3db point. Even 20hz is quite audible. This has been tested with a function generator at the preamp right through the entire system. Max power is 6W RMS at 1Khz into the speakers which are 6 ohm and bi-wired.

Seeing this is the Mikael Abdellah KT88 thread I must add that this is the third of his style amps that I have built. And for this bread board build I am going to build remote swapable driver stages which will share the PS from the original bread board amp. I will be able to swap in and out different front-end driver stage. DIY decadance.

Last edited by mhouston; 13th May 2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: add some more
Old 15th May 2010, 04:58 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

I think I have scared every one else away. Anyway I built a remote driver stage for my bread board SE UL KT88. It is the original stage Mikael used. Except in this case I upped the cathode by-pass caps to low ESR 220uf caps which are snubbed with 220nf polies. I used the Russian military caps (0.22uf) for the interstage caps added a 220 ohm grid block resistor and a 470K resistor from grid to ground.I don't use a volume control here.

I built the driver stage in a Tea Box which is lined with bitumanised Al foil. I used a 7 pin plug to carry the 400V and filament voltage. I can now build other driver stages and try them against the power stage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBAmpDriverSS.jpg (185.5 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg BBAmpDriverFrontSS.jpg (176.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DriverInsideSS.jpg (198.2 KB, 105 views)
Old 14th September 2010, 02:14 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Default retro-thermionic Pinot "KiSharn"

I would hate to see this thread go cold.This is my retro-thermionic Pinot "KiSharn" for which I am very proud. The best amp I have ever built. I don't think I have posted it on this site but if I have - forgive me. This is a two stage SE amp a true SET.

The amp is small and based on the 6AS7 tube for which now I have a lot of respect. The tube is also badged the 6080. The driver is a 40 year old Australian made AWA 12AX7 and the rec. tube a rare JAN CBXL-5R4GY brown base.

Once more the amp base is Mirbeu. I sprayed the top plate blue to match the Edcor OPTS. No input caps but the inter-stage caps are the same as used on my Twinnings Tea box preamp - Jensen pure copper, paper and oil.
There is two ferrite chokes on the power cord plus a complete power filter under the bonnett. The PS is tube rectified and choked. The power tube is a Svetlana "Winged C". Low ESR caps and a mix of carbon and metal oxide resistors are used.
Though only a 3W output this baby goes 12hz to 50khz on -3db points. Bass is weighty and deep and mids are detailed and heavily textured.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PinotKiSharnSDS.jpg (230.7 KB, 155 views)
Old 3rd April 2011, 02:37 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

Default Which schematic is better?

There's the original schematic of Mikael Abdellah Single-Ended (SE) KT88 / 6550 Tube Amplifier Schematic and there an other one KT88 Single Ended (SE) Tube Amplifier using a 5H inductor between the 400V + and the GN1P tube. Is that an upgrate? How much rate "rate" need this choke... 0.02A???

Thank you.
Old 3rd April 2011, 02:47 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arold19 View Post
There's the original schematic of Mikael Abdellah Single-Ended (SE) KT88 / 6550 Tube Amplifier Schematic and there an other one KT88 Single Ended (SE) Tube Amplifier using a 5H inductor between the 400V + and the GN1P tube. Is that an upgrate? How much rate "rate" need this choke... 0.02A???

Thank you.
Each channel of the 6N1P draws about 4mA, so the 0.02A choke would be fine. I used a Hammond 155H, one for each channel. Many folks did not use the choke in their build, but I believe it can provide better filtering in conjunction with the 10uF capacitor.

Last edited by scott17; 3rd April 2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 3rd April 2011, 05:41 AM   #120
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitizen17 View Post
Each channel of the 6N1P draws about 4mA, so the 0.02A choke would be fine. I used a Hammond 155H, one for each channel. Many folks did not use the choke in their build, but I believe it can provide better filtering in conjunction with the 10uF capacitor.
Choked PS(s) in both SS and tube amps will always sound better. This is not just my belief but also that of some very well known amp builders. Try Hugh Dean to start with.

Most try to drop the choke because of cost, weight, chassis realestate and even looks. But some very pricy preamps etc. come choked. Then there is tube rectification. But that's another thread.

Hide this!Advertise here!