First DIY amp pics-as promised! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2005, 08:34 PM   #1
mr mojo is offline mr mojo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default First DIY amp pics-as promised!

Click the image to open in full size.click to enlarge

This project has been a lot of work, a lot of fun, a lot of stress, a lot of money and an extremely rewarding experience.

As for the sound, well I think it's the best amp I've ever heard-but then again my opinion is most likely suspect!

I set out to build an amp that would hopefully come close to the sound of my 299C. If I got the amp to simply work I would've considered it a smashing success. The fact that it sounds better-by a very wide margin-than my 299C is an achievement beyond my wildest expectations.

The sound has all the transparency and detail of the very best amps-but not at the expense of the full and wide sound of the 7591s I enjoy.

I won't go into great detail about parts-that was covered in a previous post about this amp a few days ago.

I never thought I would be one of the folks posting pics of an amp I built from scratch, so this is a very momentous occasion for me. 9 months ago building my own amp from scratch seemed about as attainable as becoming an astronaut or an international playboy.

So, if you've read this far and have any comments, questions or criticisms I'd sure enjoy reading them.

Best,
mr mojo
Old 12th September 2005, 09:00 PM   #2
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi there!

That is just beautiful! Some of the neatest work I've ever seen - very envious indeed! If it sounds as good as it looks it must be a wonder to behold (or 'behear'?!?- haha!)

Where did you get the lovely cloth covered wire from please?

Best Regards,

- John
Old 12th September 2005, 09:02 PM   #3
HDTVman is offline HDTVman  United States
diyAudio Member

Now your just shown-off.

Very nice job!

BZ
Old 12th September 2005, 09:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

John,

Thank you for the kind words-sure does mean a lot!

As for the wire, here's a link. IIRC they're out of NYC.

http://www.radiodaze.com/wire-600.htm

Best,
mr mojo

HDTV,

Thanks as well to you! As for showin' off, I'm am proud of my first creation, but there's amps on this site that put my little red job to shame!

Best,
mr mojo
Old 12th September 2005, 09:32 PM   #5
sardonx is offline sardonx  Canada
diyAudio Member

wow.. definetly looks professional. great work..................

sardonx
Old 12th September 2005, 09:34 PM   #6
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

I looked at the pictures of your amp and wondered if the paint store was out of black? I also was struck by the fact that you seemed to have forgotten to add a brushed Aluminum faceplate.
It may be that you're not aware of how much these two details can affect the sound, at least to the Orthodox Audio Snobs.

Not being an Audio Snob myself (don't have the money to indulge my egotist fantasies), I find that your amp to be an absolute delight, at least visually. If it sounds better than your Scott 299 C then you must have really done an outstanding job as those Scott's are pretty stiff competition for any amp IMHO. Then again, I've got a 299 (a), and haven't heard too many amps that I'd rate much better.

What color red did you use for the paint? In your pictures it appears very vibrant with some depth, much like the red I've seen on the newer Dodge trucks.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 12th September 2005, 09:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That's an #$@ing incredible looking amp! Nice work! If that's your first build, I can't wait to see what you do a few years from now!
Old 12th September 2005, 09:51 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Very nice indeed mr mojo.
Old 12th September 2005, 09:59 PM   #9
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Some second thoughts...............

Having been to the last three VSAC events, I can tell you that, based on your pictures (which are very well done, BTW), that you would have been right up near the top in the competition. I've seen a lot of very nice amps over the years and yours looks as good as any. While I am personally addicted to MDF, Duct tape and Bondo, that has never been allowed to interferred with my duties as the "Grand Appreciator".

It is therefore, an honor to grant you the much coveted MegaCool Award for Audio Engineering.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 12th September 2005, 10:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

sardonx,

Thank you for your kind words as well-much appreciated.

TerryO,

Thank you as well! As for the color, I'm sure you're gonna love this:

It's International Harvester tractor red!! HA! If that's NOT an "audiophile approved" color then I'm a monkey's uncle!

I had a local powdercoater do the work, 85% gloss to give it some shine and depth, but not enough of a mirror finish to show a lot of fingerprints.

They had a lot of tractors and tractor parts they were powdercoating that week and they sure gave me a strange look when I brought in my parts and told them I was building a tube amp of all things.

You're absolutely right about those Scott amps. Sure, there's better, but I think diminishing returns start kicking in pretty quick.
I'll bet a lot of folks judge the sound of these old Scotts, Fishers etc. when they haven't heard them properly restored to correctly operating condition.

As for the VSAC-I think I'd be a bit out of my league-but I still appreciate the honorary title!

Best,
mr mojo

Motherone,

I sure appreciate your kind words as well. As for building another one, I'm sure the itch will strike me again, but for now I'm content to pour a glass of So-Co and watch the glow!

Best,
mr mojo

Cal,

I appreciate you taking the time to read and take a look-means a lot to me.

Thank you,
mr mojo

Hide this!Advertise here!