• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

any way to fix a end cap on a 807 power tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm too far from you to know any commercial brand in Canada,but if I say "liquid metal" or two-component glue with metal particles ,you'll know ;) ; that sort is usually temperature resistant

look at auto part shops

in case that price of glue is more than one 807 , don't dispare-you can always use that glue for something else ;)

Hi,
I have used believe it or not, High quality Cyanoacrylate glue to tighten up bases on several tubes. You can get it in many different viscosities at most really good hobby shops, It works well bonding metal to glass provided its not stressed excessively.

If its a cap that just has a minor wiggle, You should use the fine penetrating formula, Press the cap firmly to the glass, Wick it in and allow it to dry completely. They do sell an accelerator but I don't generally use it as it tends to weaken the bond. Though It cures instantly when used in this fashion.

Temperature is an issue. Though most Cyanoacrylate are not high temperature, I have even used it to bond parts to model aircraft engines and those generally exceed 300 Degrees F.
gene

choky said:
I'm too far from you to know any commercial brand in Canada,but if I say "liquid metal" or two-component glue with metal particles ,you'll know ;) ; that sort is usually temperature resistant

look at auto part shops

Confirmed.

LordCo Auto Parts and Pricess Auto (both in Canada) has it. Don't remember the name, but it's about $10.

I've re-attached the top cap on several of my 1624's (directly heated version of the 807).

Like mentioned below, carefully scrape the oxide from the wire, concentrating on the end where you will be soldering.

For glue I used J-B Weld, an metal loaded epoxy that is rated for tempretures up to 300C. Place a small amount of the epoxy on the glass where the wire comes out the top of the tube and a small amount of the epoxy inside the top cap. Place the top cap over the wire and glass taking care not go get the epoxy on the wire that you have to solder later.

Let the epoxy cure for a day before soldering the wire back to the top cap.

This has worked very well for the tubes I've repaired. 2 of the tubes have many hundred hours of use after the repair and all is good.

Gary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.