• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

power supply issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
here's the deal:

i have an ecl86 amp

It has regulated supply for the triode section

The pentode section has not

the power supply is now:

tube rect, c, r, c, where it splits to r,c for the pentode section and goest to the regulator for the triode section.

I have a bunch of 1,6 H 124 ohm chokes.

where would they benefit the ps?

can i change the last r of the pentode section with a choke? I know the first one could...

any thoughts

(the values are 240V~, ez81, 100uF,220 Ohm, 100Uf, 100Ohm, 2x47uF parallel)

beamnet,

If you have the room, use 4 of those chokes. Wire them in series/parallel to yield a net inductance/resistance = to that of a single choke, with 2X the current handling capability.

It's not a problem to have the choke(s) close to the power trafo, IF you orient the lamination stacks perpendicular to each other.

ok, i have tons of room. I might be able to fit in about 20! But then i could have better bought a descent choke. The thing works fine without, just want to see if E2,80 can really boost the performance.

Is there a way to check power handling? i guess max power is when the core saturates?

that must be measurable with a signal generator and a scope i suspect?

thanks a bunch for thinking with me!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.