Anyone tried the Hammond 1642SE in a BIG SE amp? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2010, 09:16 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi Tony,

I was actually inspired by your postings in other threads about your 826 amplifier to build one.

Unfortunately I had a very hard time getting good 826 Valves. Of the 7 I tried I found only 1 good one.

So I have now moved on to a 833 SE, (as well as a GM70 PP!)

The Hammond's are on order so will post back when I make some progress.

Best Regards

James
Old 4th February 2010, 01:38 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I did a amp 1642SE with 826 in Shisido style, 1.25k load for 826 was what he designed, but out-put only 8 watt, SE amp most for sound quality not for power, I use my 826 for supper high section in multi amp system
Did you ever measure the frequency response? I posted this question about the 1642SE over 4 years ago because of my bad experiences with the 1628SE.

I got a pair of 1628SE's. Their frequency response was 6db dowm at 20KHz with a sharp notch at 28KHz. The phase shift across the high frequency end of the audio spectrum is not normal either.

I have since tried the 1628SEA and found it to be better, but still not meeting the published specs.

"Frequency response at least 20 Hz. to 20 Khz. at full rated power (+/- 1 db max., ref. 1 Khz.) "

I could consider a project using the 1642SE in the future, but not until someone has independent test data on one.
Old 4th February 2010, 02:23 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
Did you ever measure the frequency response? I posted this question about the 1642SE over 4 years ago because of my bad experiences with the 1628SE.

I got a pair of 1628SE's. Their frequency response was 6db dowm at 20KHz with a sharp notch at 28KHz. The phase shift across the high frequency end of the audio spectrum is not normal either.

I have since tried the 1628SEA and found it to be better, but still not meeting the published specs.

"Frequency response at least 20 Hz. to 20 Khz. at full rated power (+/- 1 db max., ref. 1 Khz.) "

I could consider a project using the 1642SE in the future, but not until someone has independent test data on one.
Old 4th February 2010, 04:14 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

sorry something wrong of my computer I reply again, I built that amp around 8 years ago and I don't care too much of distortion and frequency although I got things to check. mainly for the out put power, the rest by listening judge only. looking for transformer go for over 20K but the speakerwill not follow, in multi system gain control in crossover will adjust to match the others for best result
Old 9th April 2012, 08:50 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post

I just "bite a bullet" and purchased the 1642SE. Life is not rose at all. It has a dip/resonance right at 17.4 kHz with the 8-Ohm output. The 4 and 16-ohm outputs does not have this dip but none of them better than 28kHz ... Moreover, somehow the winding ratio is totally off from spec. I will check the winding ratio again but the dip/resonance is definitely there. I am contacting Hammond Canada engineer and waiting for their feedback. Hammond in US and resale in US cannot help any technical issue.

Hide this!Advertise here!