High Voltage Power Supply Caps - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2005, 04:47 AM   #11
Bryan is offline Bryan  United States
diyAudio Member

I am aware about the series application of the caps, but if I were to do so, the highest value I can source is 60uF. In series, two caps would only give me 30uF, and I am looking for something in the 100uF range....

Thoughts?

BK
Old 3rd September 2005, 06:43 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default 88uf 1200VDC

Look at the surplus sites for these 88uF 1200VDC caps. Everyone was selling them for a while. I bought two for $14 each from Herbach Rademan a few years ago. Beware the cans are square and about a foot high with inch long ceramic terminal lugs. That or you can series wire 600v motor run caps. I bought the giant caps for power supply testing. Its nice not having to worry about exceeding the voltage.

Just watch the terminals. Shorting a fully charged one would probably melt a screwdriver
Old 4th September 2005, 03:20 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I have a friend who works in the medical equipment repair field. He has become an excellent source of high voltage caps. There is a lot of old equipment that is no longer certifiable for use in the USA. Much of it is exported (to the Caribean) or used in veternary medicine.

Two good sources that do not get used in veternary medicine are electrosurgery machines, and defibrillators. The cap in my 845SE came from an electrosurgery machine. It is 4uF 2500 volt. The cap that is going in the 833A SE is 16uF 7.5 KV. Both are paper in oil. Some defibrillators had 30uF at 4KV caps. Often these machines can be purchased for their scrap value. I got buth machines for $10. The electrosurgery unit had 2 813 tubes in it. The defib caps are rated for pulse discharge and thus have a low ESR, and a low inductance. This makes them excellent for tube amps.

I use electrolytics for the input cap and PIO caps after the choke. This is a good compromise.
Old 4th September 2005, 04:14 AM   #14
Bryan is offline Bryan  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been onto that... Looking at the defib caps. I can see that Aerovox has some, but if will I be able to get my hands on them is the question.....?
Old 4th September 2005, 08:31 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
I'm running 900v anodes, on my 805 monoblocks and have found JJ caps great, and also sounded better than the Nichicons that I removed, check the link below, and they are very good value if purchased direct from JJ Canada.

http://www.jj-electronic.com/pdf/TC_TE.pdf

Cheers George

Hide this!Advertise here!