• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

suggestions for 300B tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a pair of 300B tubes for Welborne DRD amps? I prefer liquidy midrange to bass/treble extension if this is an either/or. Also, price should be within reason (i.e., W.E.'s are too expensive.)

Tubes I have heard good things about are the TJ mesh plates, and some of the sophia electrics (these are perhaps the same tube?), as well as the KR audio and emissions labs.

Also, any thoughts or suggestions on where to get them ?

300B´s

Hi,

when using relatively expensive Tubes anyway, then I´d opt for the best...which is without doubt the KR300B XLS. They are more expensive than other tubes, but on the other hand they´ll last min. 3-4 times longer because of their build-like-a-battleship-quality and has much more dynamic headroom than any other (20-25W against app. 8-10W from a mesh-type in SE mode).
Don´t use mesh plate types. There is no good technical/sonical reason at all for the usage of a mesh instead of an massive plate (well ease of building and production costs are good reasons...but not for the end-user). Less stability, less wattage, less dynamics, less lifetime....more light (if You want that, get Yourself a proper lamp ;) ) more heat, more problems.

jauuu
Calvin

Attachments

• 300bxlsweb.jpg
    300bxlsweb.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 163
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.