• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

hi gain preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I've done more research than I would for a term paper, and I have all the info I could ever wish for about tube theory, and basic electronics and stuff like that. The problem is, nobody ever says how to bring it all together. So I ask for your help, as I have no idea how to do it myself. I'd like to learn how and why, so I can understand, not just do it.

My project is very simple compared to some of the stuff you guys talk about in here. I want to build a hi-gain tube guitar preamp (I'm talkin massive ammounts of distortion here, I'm a metalhead). One channel, only volume (gain) and master vol controls, no tone. I'd like to use 12AX7 tubes, but as few as possible. From what I'm told, you can get great ammounts of distortion from just two tubes. If this is possible, I'd like to keep it at 2. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.