• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is single ended Class A better than push-pull?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Variac said:
That was Mark Twain AFAIR.

Yeah, that's what I thought too but when I Googled it, it seems that while the quote has been attributed to Twain, it hasn't been able to be verified. One site said that he'd said something a bit similar about Paris.

Yup the turistas always are shivering all over the place in the summer, with the wind and fog. The "San Francisco" sweatshirt salespeople make a fortune..

Hehehe. I'm sure they do.

But then when you folks get a hot spell, like over 90 degrees, y'all start dropping like flies and they send out the Soylent Green trucks to scoop y'all up. :)

October is about the best month to visit here.

Having spent sub-zero winters in Nevada and Utah, I've found it quite pleasant there every time I've visited.

se

Variac, you're in an odd spot. It's ******* warm on this side of the Bay. Even warmer where Steve is. The lab is already too darn hot just from my little tube amp...

Get a thousand watts of heat going in a room and it will quickly be too warm even in Germany.

Excuse me, I have to go outside and sweat.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
new single end design

hi, how are you?

a new single end class a design, it could be replace by tubes.

have a good week end !

Attachments

• p83-f3.gif
    p83-f3.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 347
Hey Bandersnatch

I've seen your method of connecting the driver anodes to the UL taps before. A nice way of getting a more linear feedback than standard Ultralinear. Can you tell us your impressions of this arrangement vs standard Ultralinear?
Did you do any measurements or just (the vital) listening tests? I'm particularly interested on what effect it had on output impedance and total power.
Cheers,
Ian

Hey-hey!!!,
I don't find that the front end does anything for power( unless it won't swing the voltage ). This one has no troubles with voltage output.

I have not done much measurements. I was hunting a simple circuit for stacked Quad 57's. With the circuit as drawn, there is a damping factor of ~2 with 6BQ7's, 1619's and 9k a-a. It did not quite do the HF well enough.

Sooo, more NFB from what amounts to the same circuit.
Go here:
http://audioroundtable.com/GroupBuild/Projects/

Look at the Merlin amp. The differential cascode front end has a bit of added complexity but sounds fantastic. With 6J6/6H6Pi, HY69's and the 10k 40W Peerless S265Q it makes ~10W with a 300V B+. E-Linear on 30%. At 50% you'll be making 6W( but you can do it with an original,in-the-can OPTx and not have to get a modern rewind/copy ).

The cascode/faux pentode does the phase splitting better than pentodes so far, and offers high output Z for more NFB than a triode would. It rocks quads. You can build this with any multi-grid. I am running the cheaper, 12V, slightly higher gm, HY1269 now. This one likes a little more B+, so a redesign is in the works.

Drop me a line, we can exchange numbers and speak at length. This all bears my copyright.
regards,
Douglas

Miles Prower said:
is single end class a better than push - pull?
Push-pull has certain advantages.-- Balanced operation also eliminates (or nearly so) even order harmonics, making for cleaner output.

Thanks to a distortion analyser I have been able to view the distortion life of a PP preamplifier. Symetric start to finish. The second stage allowed a bias per tube. Of course I expected nasty 3rd harmonics. But what I saw was that the disbalance in the output allowed me to gently 'select' a niice distortion makeup (predominant 2nd harmonics) even thought both stages were long-tailed. (6J6 in, E90CC out). The preamp works nice for over 10 years.
Also the French writer in L'Audiophile, Héphaistos, showed such beneficial results in differential pairs by 'wrong biasing'.

My lesson: yes, in theory 2nd Harmonics cancels out, but by tweaking you can dial it back in. This is of course the 'bricolage' approach to building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.