• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cool Fireworks (tubes are tough!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I decided to use tube rectification for the EL84 amp I just built because I had a couple of Chinese 5U4-Gs on the shelf. They were there because when I had them installed in my KT88 amps they flashed on startup. I put in Sovteks and the flash went away.

Anyway, I finished soldering up the amp and tested the voltages without tubes. I then put in the 5U4-G and when I powered it on there was a flash of light in the tube and then a shower of sparks inside the envelope like a miniature fireworks display. Very cool-looking and not very upsetting because I sort of expected issues with those tubes. After a couple seconds the 2A Slo-blo fuse blew ending the fireworks display.

I re-checked all my solder joints, redid one that tested OK but looked grainy and disconnected the CT on the 5V secondary. I replaced the fuse and powered on again. Guess what? No sparks, no flashing just a slow warmup and B+ voltage right where it should be!

Holy cow tubes are tough suckers! (Even those cheap Chinese ones.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.