EL34 Integrated - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2005, 03:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default EL34 Integrated

Was looking at this as a possible project, unless someone has a better choice with same or more power, and integrated. Looking for inputs, thanks.

Circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg circuit.jpg (58.8 KB, 629 views)
Old 24th August 2005, 03:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

PS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ps.jpg (52.7 KB, 480 views)
Old 25th August 2005, 11:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Old 25th August 2005, 11:46 AM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I hate that sort of phase splitter, but the circuit will probably work OK. If you up the B+ to 420-450V, use a 6600 ohm p-p output transformer, and adjust the cathode resistor values on the output tube, you should be able to get 40 watts easily.

You can make ANY power amp circuit into an integrated by putting in source switching and a volume control.
Old 25th August 2005, 01:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply, I am very noob to this and was looking for a schematic where I could pretty much identify everything, but changing things, thats way over my head.
Old 25th August 2005, 01:40 PM   #6
amperex is offline amperex  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY amps

Some audiophiles like to build amps for the fun of building with many different designs. Some know the design will not be the best performer or outperform their present DIY amp in a few areas.

Others want the best DIY quality amp they can find as time & funds are limited. These types of DIYers want cost savings & hopefully building one great sounding amp or perhaps two amps.

If you are the second type, then I would guess the proposed amp is not going to be in the top few percent of performers & you may end up building another amp in the future.

The way I view it is I want a $3 to $5K quality amp for under $1K if I perform DIY.

Tubes I like are Sylvania 6SN7 'T' plate design, any 6P5GT (76), 45, triode connected Sylvania 6V6GT, 845, etc. I am finishing up on a 6550 amp just to find out if I can get a tetrode to sound great. I may never build another power pentode or tetrode amp. I also have experimented with vintage EL84 based amps & moved on to better tubes for audio.

Another bit of advice is the amp must match up well to the speakers with regard to amplifier power output.

My 2 cents.
Old 26th August 2005, 01:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

FWIW, I think SY made a good point about that phase splitter. The splitter topologies that are currently viewed with favor are the "concertina" and the differential.

A different tack on a PP EL34 amp is to "clone" the Dyna ST70. "Uncle" Ned Carlson at Triode Electronics has a nice driver PCB and EVERYTHING else needed.

Triode Electronics
Old 26th August 2005, 01:21 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have an old Scott 272 " Dynaural laboratory amplifier". It's schematic looks the same as yours. This was the amplifier that got me back into building tube amps. I wanted to experiment, but did not want to mess up this rare amp, so I cloned it. The clone sounded almost as good as the original (cheaper transformers). The first thing that I changed was the phase splitter because the one shown is very hard to balance over the entire audio range.

I would also recommend cloning a Dyna ST-70 if this is your first amp. Or buy a used one and replace the caps. I used to own an ST-70 and it sounded better than my Scott clone. I have since sold both amps. I have purchased tubes and transformers from Triode electronics with no complaints.
Old 26th August 2005, 02:51 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

That splitter reminds me of the Radforfd schematics I've seen. I could never figure out why a designer would go that way when there are other, better known and more straightforward solutions available.
Old 26th August 2005, 05:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I just purchased this integrated .It is using a marantz 8b circuit and fisher 400 transformers.The guy that built it did a very fine job.

The rca's on top are for biasing.The amp has 4 inputs on the back with iec.

Wired for 20 wts triode and sounds great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1119387419.jpg (69.3 KB, 385 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!