• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

fried Heatkit IP-17 power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently, I bought a used Heatkit IP-17 power supply. Unfortunately, when I plugged it in, and turned on the high voltage, the power transformer started to smell reaally bad. After doing some troubleshooting, and desoldering the connections of the power transformer to the main board, it still starts to smoke when plugged in. So I guess that transformer is toast.

Now, I could replace that transformer at some time in the future, but why is it fried? What else could be wrong with this power supply?

check to see whether the primary is open -- if not the supply is salvageable.

if 220VAC is the problem (I think the trafo was only designed for stateside use) you can still work the thing by driving the filament windings with another filament transformer -- i.e. use a 240/12.6VAC trafo (but remember to clip the primary leads for safety's sake.)

the IP17 used a voltage doubler, will only supply about 100 ma -- you can always substitute a better transformer.

btw. i wrote an article on use of the supply controlled by a microchip (Stamp II) with an RS232 Interface. Email me if interested.

The primary appears to be OK. The IP17 uses a second trafo for driving the filaments; that one appears to be OK. One or two windings on the HV trafo seem to be fried.

BTW, are you one of the authors of http://www.tech-diy.com/MCTracer_no_pix_files/HV_MCU_webversion.htm? I found that link earlier, and found it absolutely amazing. Using something like this is _much_ better than a tube tester. It's more fun anyway :)

Someone just paid $265 for an IP-17 -- this is ridiculous.

Attachments

• ip-17.gif
    ip-17.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 131
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have several IP-17 supplies, including one I built from the kit, they all have dual primaries and can be configured for either 120V or 240V when built. (Or converted later)

IMO This is not that great a supply. Is there any possibility you can return this for a refund? I'd look for a Kepco, Lambda, HP or similar. (Or Philips, Apt, Marconi?)

Alternatively you might be able to find a suitable power transformer if you hang out on eBay enough or get one made.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
jackinnj said:
Someone just paid $265 for an IP-17 -- this is ridiculous.

That's quite a bit more than I paid for the last one I bought new as a kit just before Heath Kit folded.. IIRC It cost around $229, I still have the original receipt somewhere. Given that the one shown is a much older unit I would wonder about the capacitors at the minimum.

The last version has a blue and white case, zener diode reference circuitry and is mostly pcb based.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.