• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What does this mean?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The amp I'm working on now came with a power cord installed that looks like this:
IMGDEAD]

What kind of plug is this? I assume it's from a country outside the US, but which one? Also, does anybody know what I need to do to get this amp ready to play on US current (I think we're 117V?) Please say I don't have to change the transformer or something like that...........
Thanks!!!

What kind of plug is this? I assume it's from a country outside the US, but which one?

It looks like a Japanese plug, they often have a separate wire for grounding like you can see here, (I lived in japan 8 years so I have seen it often).

Also, does anybody know what I need to do to get this amp ready to play on US current (I think we're 117V?) Please say I don't have to change the transformer or something like that...........

Japan is 100V, not 117V it can be an important difference in some cases as the raw transformer voltages inside the equipment will be 17% higher if you run on 117V instead of 100V, if electrolytic caps or other components are marginally designed it could be a problem. There are converters available from 117to 100V.

BTW, Japan use both 50Hz and 60Hz, 50Hz in the eastern part, (like Tokyo) and 60Hz in the Western part, (like Osaka).

Regards Hans

Yeah, I lived in Tokyo for 2 years, actually, and I was know that the plugs over there fit the regular Type A outlets here, but I think now that it's just an old style North American plug. The amp has a grounding switch that's been disconnected, and I think somebody must've just had this really old style grounded plug laying around or something and stuck it in. Anyway, thanks for answering!

Well, the reason that this is such a mystery is because it came on a Fender '59 Bassman RI chassis. The amp dates to 1990, and I just didn't think that Fender would be putting that kind of plug on a new amp unless it was bound for some country that required it for grounding. However, there is a grounding switch on the amp that has been disconnected, and this cord appears to have been wired in in its place, so I'm thinking somebody put this on after they got b/c they got tired of using the ground switch. Either way, I'm ripping it out and replacing it as soon as I get another power cord for it. Man, this amp is just weird... I've got another strange cord question coming soon. Oh, any recommendations as to what power cord is best to use for it? I was going to set it up to use a detachable Monster Cable power cord...

actually, I finally got in touch with the guy I got this chassis from in the first place. It's a 1990, which was the first year Fender reissued these amps, and he says that in the beginning they were putting these plugs on them because that's the plug used in the original 1959 version that they were basing it off of. The original also came with a ground switch. Either way, I've already ordered a 3-prong from Mojotone, so I'll have this problem solved soon enough...

And it's really funny that they would go through all that trouble copying the original (I can't imagine that anyone would've complained about changing the plug) but then they used PCB construction, which was the biggest complaint when these first came out!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.