Help! Q? about Ohm load in '59 Bassman RI - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2005, 01:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help! Q? about Ohm load in '59 Bassman RI

OK, this might be something everybody else knows, but I've just come into a full Fender '59 Bassman RI chassis, complete except for the cabinet and speakers. However, the speaker outputs on the chassis are setup differently than any amp I've had before. Instead of a single output to a certain 2 Ohm load, it has 4 speaker outputs, each for an 8 Ohm load, adding up to a total load of 2 Ohms. So what I'm wondering is:

1.) is there any way to hook this up to a single, 2 ohm cabinet, or do I have to hook it up to all 4 speakers individually?

2.) can I hook the amp up to just 2 speakers, 8 ohms each, individually, or do I need the full 2 ohm load?

3.) how would I connect to the speakers if I wanted to make a Bass Breaker, which was an amp that Fender made with this same chassis, only using 2 12inch 4 ohm speakers?

Can anybody give me some help on this? Like I said, every amp I've had up to this point has been a head that usually had a single output, usually for 8 ohms, so I'm not sure how it works when the speakers each hook up individually. For the time being I'll assume that I need the full 2 Ohm load that you would get w/ 4- 8ohm speakers hooked upto the chassis. Thanks!!!
Old 19th August 2005, 01:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I looked up the schematic on the Fender Field Guide - http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/ - l'59 would be the 5F6A chassis. The four connections are in parallel, so you can use 2 each 4 Ohm speakers. Two 8 Ohms will give less power, early distortion, but won't hurt it.
Old 19th August 2005, 06:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default schem

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the schematic:

http://www.fender.com/support/amp_sc..._Schematic.pdf

Oh, and my amp is the PCB version, unfortunately, though I have to admit that the Fender PCB ReIssues do sound pretty good.

Hide this!Advertise here!