• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Please Suggest: Old Tube Usages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I bought some NOS tubes several years ago, hopefully I can make some decent stuff out of them in the rest of my life. Here they are:

"Small" ones:
27 (Sylvania)
5687 (TungSol)
6J7 (Philips/RCA)
6SJ7 (RCA)
6EJ7 (Brimar)
6J5/G/GT (GE/Mullard/Ken Rad)
6S45PE/6C45Pi (Russian Military)
6H30pi (Russian Military)

"Middle" ones:
6EM7 (GE/Sylvania)
6V6/G/GT (Amperex/Unknown '40 British Military/GE JAN/RCA JAN)

"Bigger" ones:
811 (Sylvania JAN)
SV811-3 (Svetlena, this is not "NOS")
6080 (Philis/GE/Sylvania)
6AS7GA (RCA/GE)
6336 (Cetron Graphite plates)

Rectifier:
6X5GT (RCA)
5Y3GT/5Y4GT (GE/Sylvania/RCA)
82 (RCA)
5R4GY (RCA)
GZ37 (Mullard)

I've been thinking of several possibilities:

Line stages:
1) 27 with CCS load
2) 6J5 with CCS load
3) 5687 with choke load or OPT
4) 6S45PE or 6H30pi with OPT

Small amps:
1) 6H30pi single tube/single stage SE
2) 6S45 single stage SE
3) 6EM7 alone SE or PP
4) 6J7 (or 6J5) -> 6V6 SE or PP

Bigger amps:
1) 6J7 -> 6V6 -> (6080CF) -> 811 SE
2) 6EM7 -> SV811-3 SE
3) 6SJ7 (or 6EJ7) -> 6V6 -> 6080 or 6336 PSE or PP
4) 6EM7 -> 6V6 -> 6336 OTL :eek:

Other usage: 6080 and the likes as rectifier....

With the list, it seems the "small amp" group would be the most fun to build & use. And there'll probably be much trouble to deal with the "bigger amp" group. Maybe I'll need some more "middle" tubes for proper driver stage....

Your suggestions & experience sharing will be highly appreciated :)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
27 is, by later standards, a very low-performance device. However its low Gm stays very constant with current, at higher currents. Working alone as a line-amp, I'd think the output impedance is high.

6J5, and 6J7 triode-strap, are so linear that CCS seems pointless. Use them as if it was 1937 all over again.

As a quick/easy/good project, hard to beat one or two 6EM7. If you have lots of them, parallel your way to power.

You have enough big triodes to heat a house. I've never found much audio use for them: the gain is so low that driver design dominates the result.

All of these tubes are good for something. But all will need a lot of other stuff. Especially iron. Even the OTL needs a monster power transformer. These other parts have major impact on sound and cost. So I like to start with a vision of the whole amp, rather than with a tube.

Thanks a lot for the advices :)

PRR said:

These other parts have major impact on sound and cost. So I like to start with a vision of the whole amp, rather than with a tube.

Yes, yes:nod: Now I have a set of Lundahl irons good for a pair of mono blocks. The mains are 350V/630mA with some filament supplies & the OPTs are 3k:8R good for 100mA SE. There're also some power chokes & a pair of anode chokes.

So I guess they only fit with the 811 in class A2 SE (Shishido), or I could also try choke input power supply for 6EM7. I'll probably need 5k or higher impedance OPT for SV811-3 & 6V6. And another pair or two low impedance OPTs for those 6080 series (if I really build them)....

System-wise, actually I'd like to build a relatively powerful amp (10w at least) for the bass department to replace the current Altec 1568A. The mid-high portion is now served by 300B SE which I'm very satisfied with.

Small amps might be used to serve the high if I made it 3way active, or a second minimalist system.

I adore 6EM7 very much, too. I regret that I didn't buy more (I only got 6). It's now still inexpesive but harder to find good NOS. Instead, I have too many 6080s which seem hard to use:( I just thought I'd build some regulated power supplies:dead:

Looking back, I feel that I was too greedy at the time I bought them. All impulse, no plans:( And my thinking is always changing....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.