• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

plitron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Large input capacitor in PS

Hi Agent 5,

Recently I experiment various config for the power supply of my 300B MonoBloc a bit. Now I am having 5U4G-100uF (BG)-10H choke-100uF (BG) CLC PI filter.

I noticed that with higher value of the input capacitor, the sound gets a lot better with flesh and blood especially for the vocal. I understand that 100uF input capacitor is an overkill for the 5U4G. I told my friend that this is a destructive experiment and see how long could the 5U4G last in such condition.

Johnny

Re: Large input capacitor in PS

kmtang said:
Hi Agent 5,

Recently I experiment various config for the power supply of my 300B MonoBloc a bit. Now I am having 5U4G-100uF (BG)-10H choke-100uF (BG) CLC PI filter.

I noticed that with higher value of the input capacitor, the sound gets a lot better with flesh and blood especially for the vocal. I understand that 100uF input capacitor is an overkill for the 5U4G. I told my friend that this is a destructive experiment and see how long could the 5U4G last in such condition.

Johnny

I think you are right. I use a 2uf cap after the rectifier tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.