• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6.3V Rectifier Tube Lit by 5V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
It won't get hot enough to emit significant electrons. The anode will then drag all available electrons from it and expose the cathode surface to ion bombardment which will destroy it in short order. Give the heater 6.3V - and if that means buying a cheap and cheerful 6V toroid, then do it.

My test says wrong..........

The oversized filament in that tube will emit plenty of electrons. On my tube tester with 300 volts and a 100ma load, no dofference from 6.3 to 5 volts. Do expect to derate current to say 80% & expect some lower tube life- no big deal on these cheap tubes.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Well, experiment beats theory any day!

However, you have to ask, "Is it good engineering to deliberately run a valve in a way that theory says is damaging?" I can't help feel that this kludge will come back and bite you on the foot at some point in the future. A 6V toroid is cheap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.