• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube sockets in Eagle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since I am currently at work, I don't have access to Eagle. The library I used was downloaded from the Cadsoftusa site. Since all of the documentation is in German, I believe it is the same library that is on the German site. I have used sockets from various tube distributors in the USA. Antique Electronics ( www.tubesandmore.com) and Triode electronics have them. I have also used the Gold plated ones from ESRC. ESRC does not have a web site, just search for the seller ESRC on Ebay. You want the PC board sockets, not the chassis mount ones. The pin spacing is only slightly larger than the tubes themselves.

My tube library for Eagle

Ok, I have been asked about this in a couple of threads, so here it is. This is the actual library that I use on my vacuum tube boards.

The 5AR4, 45, and 5842 parts as well as the resistors, caps, and regulator IC, are the ones used on the TubelabSE board. The 5AR4 part was modified from the library that I downloaded from Eagle. The pads and holes have been enlarged for ease of assembly. The other parts I created myself. Since there is no PC board socket available for the 4 pin tubes (45, 300B) I created a part for the chassis mount socket. Pictures will be posted in a seperate reply.

The 6FQ7 and 12AX7 parts are the ones used on the 300Beast board. These parts are about 5 years old and are updated from an older version of Eagle.

The 6U8 part is even older and was used in a KT-88 amp.

These library parts are a work in progress, they have evolved over time, and will continue to evolve. I know that they will be of use to Tubeheads that use Eagle, however, I make no guarantees. Use at your own risk

Attachments

• tubelab.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 2,597
My tube library for Eagle

Here is a picture of the TubalabSE PC board that was created using this library. All of the PC board solder pads are oversized (where possible) so that this board can be assembled by inexperienced people.

Attachments

• board.jpg
    board.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 2,534
Tube library for Eagle

This is a picture of the actual octal sockets used on this board. I have purchased these from all of the vendors mentioned in my previous post.

I hope this helps. You can use these parts as is, or you can modify them. If you need a different tube, use one of these parts, and draw a new symbol for it. A will get around to doing a 7 pin sometime, but I don't know when.

Attachments

• octal.jpg
    octal.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2,333
Re: My tube library for Eagle

tubelab.com said:
Ok, I have been asked about this in a couple of threads, so here it is. This is the actual library that I use on my vacuum tube boards.

The 5AR4, 45, and 5842 parts as well as the resistors, caps, and regulator IC, are the ones used on the TubelabSE board. The 5AR4 part was modified from the library that I downloaded from Eagle. The pads and holes have been enlarged for ease of assembly. The other parts I created myself. Since there is no PC board socket available for the 4 pin tubes (45, 300B) I created a part for the chassis mount socket. Pictures will be posted in a seperate reply.

The 6FQ7 and 12AX7 parts are the ones used on the 300Beast board. These parts are about 5 years old and are updated from an older version of Eagle.

These library parts are a work in progress, they have evolved over time, and will continue to evolve. I know that they will be of use to Tubeheads that use Eagle, however, I make no guarantees. Use at your own risk

Thanks so much for this tube.lib files I have been looking for some.. Do you got any more to share.. ?

j'

Tube library for Eagle

Thanks so much for this tube.lib files I have been looking for some.. Do you got any more to share.. ?

At this point you have my entire tube collection, even though the library is small, it contains everything needed to build amplifier boards.

All of my other libraries were from my digital design days using socketed dip and PLCC parts. Since there are far better parts in the current Eagle libraries, I don't even use them any more.

Dragging his thread up from the past...

I am using a Mac, and have Eagle 6.2. Unfortunately, the PC socket libraries don't work with my version. Is this an Eagle for Mac 6.x issue, or later versions of Eagle in general?

Anyway, if someone has any libraries for Eagle in a later format it would be very helpful.

Regards,

Chris

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011

Thanks for sharing!

Jaz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.