ralph power pp amp with 807 ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2005, 04:03 PM   #1
Jaap is offline Jaap  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default ralph power pp amp with 807 ?

http://www.meta-gizmo.com/Tri/interstage.html

What do I have to change in this design to be able to use my 807 tubes who are patiently waiting ?

thanx in advance

jh
Old 4th August 2005, 04:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Depends on how you want to run the 807s: pentode, ultra-linear, or triode. You will almost certainly need to change the output xfmr, and possibly that interstage xfmr.

The PS will likely need to be modified for different DC out, plus V(sgsg) if you use pentode mode.
Old 4th August 2005, 05:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default I am thinking triode

Old 4th August 2005, 09:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here ya go: 807 App Notes. This is quite the comprehensive information on that. Includes both RF and AF operating modes, and plenty of data for pentode/triode operation at various DC voltages, Q-Point bias, and data on estimated THD for each.
Old 4th August 2005, 09:46 PM   #5
amperex is offline amperex  United States
diyAudio Member

Page wont open to review schematic.................
Old 5th August 2005, 01:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amperex
Page wont open to review schematic.................
No trouble here, but here's the drawing anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ralph power pp6b4g.jpg (24.4 KB, 365 views)
Old 5th August 2005, 01:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

And PSU......

Built this and similar. Good little circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ralph power pp6b4gps1.jpg (22.2 KB, 298 views)
Old 5th August 2005, 10:20 PM   #8
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> www.meta-gizmo.com/Tri/interstage.html

How old-fashioned.

> What do I have to change in this design to be able to use my 807 tubes

807 is nothing but an ugly 6L6. You will have to separate the heater from cathode function: study any normal indirect-heat output stage. Triode-strap it with a 100 ohm resistor G2 to Plate. Adjust the cathode resistor (shown in the power supply section) to an appropriate value for 807/6L6 and the supply voltage you like. 300 ohms may be a good trial value for 275V supply.

> how you want to run the 807s: pentode, ultra-linear, or triode.

The intent seems to be to run Triode. Or at least I would try that first.

> You will almost certainly need to change the output xfmr, and possibly that interstage xfmr.

There are not a lot of interstage transformers on today's market, the Lundahl will be fine. It may be "too good" in that the 807/6L6 can be driven with less voltage swing than 2A3/6B4, but there isn't a smaller model. The load is the same: two naked grids. Overall gain will be a couple dB higher: no big deal. Input overload voltage will be a little less, but I assume there is a Volume control somewhere up-river.

The output transformer is only specified as "Sansui 1000A". I'm guessing that it is the usual 5K or 8K winding, which is appropriate for self-biased 807/6L6 also. Triodes are not that fussy about load.

2A3/6B4 will make a little less power than 807/6L6 working with the same supply and load impedance, due to higher plate resistance. This may be several dB different, not a lot.
Old 5th August 2005, 10:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default 807

PRR, thanks for your input.

I am thinking about the 807 because i have some lying in the cellar. I have the impression that this tube has a good reputation.

I suspect that you have some ideas of bettering the circuit in a more modern fashion or that you have suggestions for a better output tube. I have the Lundahl LL1660 in mind as interstage transformer.

Feel free to share your ideas with a not so experienced tubenut.

regards,

JH
Old 5th August 2005, 11:13 PM   #10
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> I suspect that you have some ideas of bettering the circuit in a more modern fashion

Oh, No!

"Old fashioned" is not bad. Many of the Old Ways are still the best. I think it is a fine amp.

My only "change" would be to suggest using the 2A3/6B4 instead of the 807/6L6. But if you have a cellar full of 807, they will certainly work well.

If you are power-hungry, you can raise B+ on 807 toward 400V. Use the suggested conditions in the 807 app-note that Miles showed us.

Hide this!Advertise here!