My experience building a DRD d3A/300B amp - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2005, 11:33 PM   #51
2wo is offline 2wo  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi all ,

I have built the DRD style amps, currently as 45s.

You can find bits of it over at "Audio round table, group build"

I used Lundel and James outputs, Jacks DRD chokes and the Lady Day style power transformer from DIY HI FI. If I am not mistaken , Thorsten had a big hand in itís design.

This is a very flexible transformer. Between itís multiple HV taps, buck boost taps, full or half wave and cap or choke input filters. There is a very wide range of voltages to play with.
Not to mention the clever filament secondary arrangement. Worth a look.

I first breadboarded these as a 45 amp with plans to run 2a3 and 300b as a series of post to ART.

I first set one up with a 6an4 driver , parts bin "fast rectifiers" and some honking big adjustable cathode resistors that could accommodate all 3 tubes. Dialed up the various voltages and had a listen . good. Build another .

Now one of the stated objectives of this project was to try some alternatives to AC heating But with this lash up. There is almost no hum. With my 96db/w speakers, I think what I hear is the diode switching noise. It has to be a very quiet night in N-town before this level of noise is heard.

I have been very busy at work and have not had a lot of time to play. I did toss a pair of 300ís in as a quick and dirty experiment but my heart was not in it. I did not have the time to do it properly and the 45ís were working well for me. I will get back to it as time permits.

In the mean time this is a very worthily configuration to considerÖJohn

Hide this!Advertise here!