How to connect electrostatic shield of power transformer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2005, 03:01 PM   #1
bee696 is offline bee696  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Thumbs down How to connect electrostatic shield of power transformer?

I got a power transformer with electrostatic shield, should I connect it to signal ground or AC ground (i.e. the ground of AC socket)?

Btw, I connect 0.1uF cap between the signal and AC ground.

Thanks!
Old 22nd July 2005, 08:17 PM   #2
Gluca is offline Gluca  Italy
diyAudio Member

I connected it to ac ground and my star ground is connected there too (no cap). I have no hum (but it depends also on other facts I guess).

Ciao
Gianluca
Old 22nd July 2005, 08:54 PM   #3
nafunga is offline nafunga  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Electrostatic screen is normally connected to the supply earth.
Old 23rd July 2005, 09:26 AM   #4
bee696 is offline bee696  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Thanks all!!!
Old 23rd July 2005, 11:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Should not matter. Such a screen is there to bypass spikes and higher frequency rubbish to earth before it can enter the system via the secondary (power) windings. It works like a capacitor, and all your earths are normally at "earth potential" as far as this is concerned. (Perhaps, if you have a particularly noisy mains, you might want to try different points.)
Old 22nd September 2012, 07:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

For valve amps with high voltage secondaries, one could suggest that mains dV/dt plus dV/dt at rectifier commutation could be contributing a much more significant current through the electrostatic screen wire than primary side voltage, and hence it would be better to connect the shield wire directly to eg. the secondary HT CT for a typical rectifier configuration.

Induced current from secondary side HT waveform would then take a relatively short closed loop path. Primary side induced current would take a longer path back from the secondary HT CT to the first-filter cap and then back to star ground and at some point return to the chassis.

Hide this!Advertise here!