Is the KEL-84 a good Starting Point? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2002, 01:17 PM   #1
Rarkov is offline Rarkov  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rarkov Send a message via Skype™ to Rarkov
Question Is the KEL-84 a good Starting Point?

Hi,
I am looking into building the KEL-84 Integrated Stereo Valve Amp by World Audio Designs. Take a look here.

It looks good to me - but then I've never even heard a valve amp before...not even on a guitar!

There are two features I like the look of...

* Fail safe construction (Although I am very competent at electronics - I have a degree in it - I don't fancy being shocked with ~600V!)

* Cheap! At least for a valve amp anyway!

There is one other point...I couldn't find a single other kit available in the UK! If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I'm keen to hear them!

Thanks,
Gaz
Old 18th September 2002, 03:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Senior Member

Default KIT

Hello Rarkov,

I don't know from the top of my head of any others in the UK apart from Maplin Electronics.
As I know most of the people at Hi-Fi World I can only give you my vote of confidence about them.
Their designs are nothing extraordinary but very good value for money.
If you don't have power hungry speakers (88dB/m approx.) and their not way below 4Ohm impedancewise I would give it a go and get some spare ECF80's while you're at it.
I can't tell for sure if these are still in production,you can still mail Nick at Hi-Fi World for that.

Regards,
Old 18th September 2002, 10:33 PM   #3
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Rarkov,
nice little amp, the designer seems to know what he is doing; the circuit is very similar to the origial 1949 Williamson circuit except that Wiliamson used 6SN7 and KT-66. Even the HF oscillation killer across the input pentode's anode load resistor looks similar.

I would give it a try.
Old 11th November 2003, 03:00 PM   #4
matt_uk is offline matt_uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have just come across the Kel 84 amplifier kit. Does anyone have any experience with this amp? Would it be worth selling my Arcam A75 to fund?

Also, are there any other valve amplifier kits available in the UK, this is the only one I could find.

Matt
Old 11th November 2003, 03:41 PM   #5
Fuling is offline Fuling  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Ive built an amp very much inspired by the Kel 84.
The input stage is a direct clone but I use different output tubes (6AQ5). Not bad at all, in fact it sounds really good.
Old 11th November 2003, 04:04 PM   #6
hkoetz is offline hkoetz  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Kel 84

About half a year ago I built this amp. As far as i could hear, it sounded very well. However I could hear no difference between it and my NAD 2x20 watt solid state amplifier (is this good or bad?). I have sold the amp now. Not because it didn't sound good, but because I want to build something new. It will probably be the 2A3 PSE from (again) World Audio Design.
Old 11th November 2003, 10:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
However I could hear no difference between it and my NAD 2x20 watt solid state amplifier (is this good or bad?).
Hummmm...I hate to judge from a distance but what it tells me is that the weakest link in your chain lies elsewhere, I guess.

BTW is that a NAD 3020 you have?

Cheers,
Old 14th November 2003, 03:15 PM   #8
gjo is offline gjo  India
diyAudio Member

Audion(www.audion.co.uk) offers a kit, the Edison 60. You may want to check that out.
Old 14th November 2003, 06:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I like that particular amp from their stable most of all. It is also very good value sound for pound against any other product in the world.
Old 14th November 2003, 06:43 PM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The KEL-84 seems to be based pretty much on the old Dynaco ST-35 (and SCA-35). That's a darned good place to start.

Hide this!Advertise here!