• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

sovtek 300B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sovtek 300B tubes

Sovtek is the brand used by New Sensor in the USA for tubes made in Russia by the Reflektor factory. They are no longer selling 300B tubes using the Sovtek name. They are currently selling 300B's using the Electro Harmonix brand. I used the Sovtek 300B's in my 300Beast push pull amp. These tubes had a great sound, but I had bad luck with them. Over a period of one year, I had 4 of these tubes fail in the same manner, half of the filament went open. I found out that other people had the same problem. The details are explained on my 300Beast web page. www.tubelab.com/300Beast.htm
New Sensor would not replace any of them, and only suggested "buy our new EH300B, it has an improved filament". I have not purchased any Sovtek tubes since.
I would state that if the tubes are good now they will probably stay ok. I have 6 good ones that have worked great for years. All of the failures happened in the first 6 months. The 300Beast still has Sovtek tubes in it. At the time I was getting these for 45 to 60 USD each.
For my 300B amps, I am currently using the Chinese 300B tubes made in the Shuguang factory and sold under various brand names. They are sometimes called 300B-98. They sell for 45 to 60 USD in the USA. I have bought 10 with no issues. With the current Dollar to Euro ratio they should be a good deal in Europe.

Thanks for your replies... interesting links. I hope these sovteks survive as long as I need to finish my next project.

On ebay I noticed the EH gold grid sell for 100euro per matched pair, it seems to be quite a good price. Every now and then I also spot TJs.

WE are utterly out of my budget.

Gianluca

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.