• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Phase splitter transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone built this circuit http://www.geocities.com/n9zes@sbcglobal.net/PSA_EL84_reva.pdf
It looks a very simple circuit without a phase splitting tube, notice that there is no feedback aslo no bypass cap across the combined cathode resistor. What are the pitfalls if any here?
The 6AU6, an unusual tube to use in audio wired as a triode. Would the output pair need to be matched?
How good would the phase splitter trandforner need to be, it is the PS2A-N (n for nickel)
The circuit is from the Electra Print Audio site.
What other front end tubes could be used giving the same drive requirements?
How do you think it would sound?
Your comments would be appreciated as I have ordered the parts to build it.
Phil.

I am no expert but that looks like a center tapped choke rather than a transformer. If you used a transformer you wouldn't need the coupling capacitor. I might be tempted to try something like that but I would probably be thinking along the lines of using a transformer and hooking the output tubes up as triode strapped rather than UL.

I'll leave it to someone who knows what they are talking about to suggest any pitfalls of this design. :)

mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.