• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

50 Power triode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
datasheets

Thanks. Is the one you posted of an NOS?
I can’t any TJ datasheets, but requested them of Brian at diyhifisupply.

(OT: I see there is a big $ “300B+ Premium Graphite Plate” they claim: “With 1K5 OPT and 400/120ma, fixed bias you can get a whopping 20+ watts from these: 845 slayer”!

Anyone heard a 50? I read today they sound better than 45s!

Thanks. Is the one you posted of an NOS?
Yes.

see there is a big $ “300B+ Premium Graphite Plate” they claim: “With 1K5 OPT and 400/120ma

Yea I've been dreaming about them for my One-Electron UBT-1 1k6 OPT. ;)

Anyone heard a 50? I read today they sound better than 45s!

I've only heard 300B in my life..never a 2a3,45 or 50

The TJ Full Music tubes are new stocks. They are rather pricy.

If you can find NOS 50's, that would be very good.

I checked the datasheet of 50, the plate resistance is 1.8K which is similar to 45 tube. The output transformer's impedance should be 5K.

Johnny

Based on a comparison (mentioned somewhere on KYW’s website) the 50 can sound better than the 45 (this before the new rather pricey premium mesh plate version), with the power of the 2A3.

Anyone planning to tinker with the TJ 50? KYW?

KYW maybe a premium option for the diyhifisupply Joplin?

Good quality 5K SE OPT is rather hard to find. I bought the Hammond 1628SE OPT for use with my 45 AMP. I found that the frequency response is not flat at all. It has a notch of -6dB at 16kHz. Luckily it still sounds pretty good to my ears.

Johnny

Konnichiwa,

rick57 said:
Can you give any pointers/ reasons why 50s are harder to implement right, than eg 45s or 2A3s??

The original 50 had quite a bit of gridemission which requires very low gridcircuit resistances (< 10kOhm) and requires a lot of grid swing, making a driverstage that does that is a little non-trivial.

The TJ 50 is probably not subject to these problems, but it also seems to be not quite a real 50, but a rather good item in it's own right.

Sayonara

I split of the 300b+ part

but there was one question and answer that needed to be in both treads (I apologize for the inconvenience)

Re: questions for Brian Post #6
quote:
Originally posted by rick57
Brian

What B+ with the super 300B gives 18w?

Will datasheets of the TJs be put on your website?

And have listening comparisons been done of the new 50s v NOS?
Brian's answer :
Cheers
400v/100ma

Gordon Rankin: "The TJ mesh sound is pretty similar in comparison to the sound of the TJ Mesh 300B. The nice thing over the 300B is that it appears to have more umph. Which I think can be attributed to the higher potenial energy in the filament. The NOS RCA and TungSol I have here are a bit more clearer, focused and extended, but not as powerfull. In general I prefer the NOS over the TJ, except for the price. If you are looking for a more romantic sound I would go with the TJ."

Raj1 said:
Hi,

does anyone have links to circuits using the 50 tube, I have searched but have yet to find anything..........???

Thanks
Raja

I built a 50 amp, and it was posted (and most likely buried) here in the forum :)

edit:

oh, here it is - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54336&highlight=

and the pictures

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.