Looking for Mikael's KT88 Schematic - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2005, 08:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for Mikael's KT88 Schematic

Anyone out there have Mikael's KT88 schematic.

Last link I had was....
http://81.224.66.34/se_kt88.gif

Not working anymore.

Thanks.
Toyman
Old 29th June 2005, 12:24 AM   #2
XT8510 is offline XT8510  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

lets see if this works:
Attached Images
File Type: gif se_kt88.gif (18.1 KB, 5849 views)
Old 29th June 2005, 01:15 PM   #3
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

This is a great sounding circuit and is as simple to build as you will find! You'll be happy with it.

If you are looking for OPTs for this amp I can recommend the James 6123HS. Price from Euphonia Audio is about the same as for the Hammond 1628SE and the sound is great. (Plus they look great, finish is definitely top notch!)
Old 30th June 2005, 03:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Guys.

Sherman, can you recommend some caps and resistors?

I seem to be having trouble finding a 220uF/63V and the 100uF/25V caps as well as the 470Ohm/25W resistor.

Can this amp run without a pre-amp, strictly with a CD source?
What about a SS preamp?

P.S. I'm a noob.

Thanks,
Earl
Old 30th June 2005, 04:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Toyman_PA
Thanks Guys.

I seem to be having trouble finding a 220uF/63V and the 100uF/25V caps as well as the 470Ohm/25W resistor.

Can this amp run without a pre-amp...

P.S. I'm a noob.

Thanks,
Earl
Earl,

I ended up using 220uF/100V and 100uF/50V caps. Both were non-polar electrolytics. With the caps you can use a higher voltage rating than specified but you should stick with the recommended capacitance.

For the power resistor 20W should be OK.

You can find suitable resistors and capacitors at Mouser.

The amp was designed to run without a pre-amp so any source such as a CD player, tuner or tape player should be fine. For phono you would need a phono pre.
Old 1st July 2005, 06:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Noob questions

Sorry for the extra-basic noob stuff, but I've only built one amp so far, and I gotta learn somehow.

1) What's a good way to design a PS for this amp? I can't decide if I think a single supply for a pair of these on one chassis to make a stereo amp would be cooler than a separate PS for each, as in a pair of monoblocks. Regardless, I know I need 400v B+ per the schem, but what about generating enough current to power all 4 tubes? How do I calculate that?

2) For a circuit like this, how does one calculate the output in watts? I've always wondered that...

Thanks for the patience!

-Jeff
Old 1st July 2005, 11:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hey Jeff,

Here is the power supply Sherman used for his monoblocks. He would be able to better the answer the single psu question. I was thinking about going with non-tube (can't remember the proper term) psu. Don't know the pros/cons though.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1118349787

Earl
Old 1st July 2005, 12:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

You would have to put some dropping resistors if using solid-state rectifiers, as the 5U4G (simulating the same circuit on Duncan's PSU) makes for a voltage dropp of around 50V comparing with SS (370V vs 425V)
I'm going for tube rectification, different sound
Old 5th July 2005, 12:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Noob questions

Quote:
Originally posted by jgunn5066

1) What's a good way to design a PS for this amp? I can't decide if I think a single supply for a pair of these on one chassis to make a stereo amp would be cooler than a separate PS for each, as in a pair of monoblocks. Regardless, I know I need 400v B+ per the schem, but what about generating enough current to power all 4 tubes? How do I calculate that?

2) For a circuit like this, how does one calculate the output in watts? I've always wondered that...

Thanks for the patience!

-Jeff
Jeff,

Earl posted my PS so you have that. It is for a monoblock, one 6N1P and one KT88. If you are building in a stereo chassis you only need 3 tubes- one 6N1P and two KT88. The 6N1P is a dual triode (two triodes in one envelope).

Calculating the current needed from your PS is not hard. First if you are doing tube rectification you need to supply sufficient current to the rectifier heater. The 5U4-G heater takes 3A at 5V.

Next you need to supply the heaters for your other tubes. The
KT88 takes 1.6A at 6.3V and the 6N1P is probably about 1A (I forget the exact value).

Last you need to know the current draw of your tubes for the B+. The KT88 is biased at 75mA in Mikael's circuit, I don't remember what the 6N1P draws, I think about 15mA? Add those up and give yourself some headroom.

If you are doing a stereo chassis then you'll have to supply heater current to two KT88's so you'll need 3.2A for those and still need the 1A or whatever for the 6N1P.

For the B+ you'll need to double everything from the monoblock. 150mA for two KT88s and 30mA for both triodes in the 6N1P.

Pick a PTX with enough guts.

As for power output- at full-tilt a single ended KT88 might make 8-10 watts (I think the sheet value is 11 watts). In this circuit, keeping distortion reasonable and running ultralinear rather than pentode mode a good guess would be between 4 and 7 watts. I haven't put the scope on mine yet to really measure it. I think Mikael was estimating 4-5 watts on his amp.
Old 14th August 2005, 01:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Question Stereo power transformer for this amp?

Ok-
I just found this thread on this project, and I'm going to build a stereo version of this amp.

My question is, can I use a Hammond 273BX for a stereo version of this amp? It's rated for 175ma not the 180ma as calculated is the above message. Is this close enough?
Have any others built a stero version of this amp?
Thanks.
Glenn

Hide this!Advertise here!