Ultimate Tube head phone amp. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2005, 04:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking Ultimate Tube head phone amp.

Hi all,

recently I buy one AKG K-1000 headphone amp & test in very good sound. But this headphone was 74db, 120Ohm. Not such tube headphone amp in market can support this headphone. I try several one but still not performance well. So I decide to build one perfect/Ultimate tube headphone amp for my AKG K-1000.

Any circuits or tubes advise.

BTW, I can call Japan OEM for the OPT for this Headphone amp.
Price still attractive, but I hope to get the best for this headphone.

thx

thomas
Old 28th June 2005, 06:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

This drives my 32-ohm Pro 120's to volumes so loud, I can't even use and it's OTL:
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/contrib..._Headphone.png

The article:
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/HeadphoneAmp.html
Old 28th June 2005, 03:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Maybe this amp will suit your needs.Have not heard it myself but talking to one who has says it sounds great with the K1000

http://www.pmillett.com/ecc99_srpp_headphone_amp.htm
Old 29th June 2005, 02:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here's another

http://www.tubes.mynetcologne.de/roe...pcl84pp_e.html
Old 29th June 2005, 09:51 AM   #5
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Default ultimate

Hi,
on Headwize you can find numerous schematics for headphone amplifiers. In the forum a few new designs came up, presented by forum members. I.e. the Cavalli-Lovell MK1 with regulated supply, and BCJ and so on. I am quite sure that they will drive K1000's also. Just have a read......

Oliver
Old 29th June 2005, 10:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Brian Cherry is bringing out a pre/headphone amp that might suit your needs..he is in Kowloon

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_t..._linestage.htm
Old 29th June 2005, 06:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Talking Ultimate Tube head phone amp.

Hi all,

thanks for your advise.

I agreed that many tube head amp in the markets were very good one.

But the K-1000 work perfect in the matching impendance.

K-1000 Spec was 120Ohm & 74db. I hope to use same 120Ohm out tube head amp for it.

This is the circuit that I considerate was use 5965 directly couple with 12B4. it approx had 1.8W class A Output.

Any advise???

thx

thomas
Old 29th June 2005, 08:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'd love to see one built around a 12B4 if it's practical. If you have a design, I'd be willing to give it a try. I don't need to drive AKG's K1000's, but rather some HD-650's and my AKG K401's once they get repaired (ugh)
Old 30th June 2005, 04:51 AM   #9
sardonx is offline sardonx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi,
My pre/head amp is designed for the akg1000's I believe, even though i've never used those earphones yet... it has a special connector for them. The unit is the Antique Sound Labs MG head OTL 32. It's an output transformerless design. $695US I believe.

sardon
Old 30th June 2005, 06:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default K1000 and Zo

One note about the K1000... even though it has a 120 ohm impedance, it really does not sound good at all if you drive it with a "normal" headphone amp, with an output impedance that is very high at all.

AKG designed this to be driven by a very low Zo solid state amp. So, it relies on the amp's damping factor. A high Zo amp makes it sound bright in the highs and weak and flabby in the bass.

Actually, one of the best sounding drivers for a K1000 is a 300B SE amp, driven off of the 8 ohm output tap! Kinda pricey for a headphone amp, bu then again, the K1000 is kinda pricey for headphones!

I've driven my K1000's from the SRPP amp I designed for it (see my web page), and also from my 6B4G P-P amp and my KT88 SE E-linear amp. Actually, the KT88 amp sounded the best to me.

I also tried it on Gary Pimm's 47 P-P pentode amps. It did not sound good there, probably because the pentode amps have a high Zo. Might have been OK if it were placed in parallel with some 8 ohm dummy load resistors.

But whatever you do, make sure you drive it with an output impedance that is very low. Below 8 ohms source impedance is best.

Pete
www.pmillett.com

Hide this!Advertise here!