• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube microphone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bruel & Kjaer condenser microphones have a built-in tube preamp which also doubles as the capsule heater to prevent moisture from condensing onto the diaphragm. Some of their models are well worth the $1000 price tag, even used... as always, it's down to what kind of microphone it really is ;)

They are all usable. "V3 technology" is just marketing noise. SOme of the cheap condensers sound really good. The high end stuff is very high quality gear. Does the difference matter to YOU? Hard to say.

When you look at high end microphones, you need to consider them as part of the system. You also need to be honest about your needs and experience. If you are recording into a cassette deck, you will not likely realize the benefits of a $3000 mic over a $100 mic. Your ear may not be up to it even if you have high end mixers and recorders.

Tube mic pres add their certain something regardless of hte mic used, so it is not a question of using EITHER a tube mic or a tube pre. You want to select the mic that is best for your application, then you want to use the mic pre that is best for your application. They might both be tubed or neither.

Start reading EQ magazine or visit www.eqmag.com or read their big brother Mix magazine. You will learn a lot about mics, recording, etc.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Tube microphones are always large capsule condenser (electrostatic) microphones. The tube refers to the amplifier that is required on the back of the capsule. Once you put a tube in a microphone, you need a dedicated power supply for it (in a separate box), and that costs money. A silicon amplifier can be powered from the phantom power provided by the desk. Ergo, a tube microphone will always be more expensive. And large capsule microphones are expensive anyway.

Is it worth it? Oh, yes! It takes about two seconds to be utterly smitten by the sound of a tube microphone on human voice. But, as pointed out earlier, you'd better have equally good gear further down the chain, otherwise, you're wasting your money.

I have an AKG C1000 condenser mic . Should I build the Tube premic w/Compression as posted by someone here on the forum, or should I just go ahead and buy the Art tube premic. This is really for my vocal performance . Only in an amateurish envioronment. I am not thinking about recording, not yet .

The ART is a great little preamp for the price as is the Presonus range of tube pre's. Some good, low cost brands of tube mics include MXL (owned by Mogami, the cable folks), Rode and Groove Tubes. The so-called classics such as the Neuman U67 and Telefunken U49 are IMHO, probably not worth the outrageous sums they fetch.

As for the sound; most tube mics exhibit a slight rise in the high end and obviously introduce ("pleasant") artifacts into the sound. You will also find them somewhat noisy which can be an issue if recording low level signals.

If i read your last post correctly you are planning to use this mic in a live environment? If so you will likely find that acoustic feedback between the mic & the sound system will be a huge problem with most condensor mics not specifically designed for live vocal use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.