• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Replacing a power tube (used as driver for mosfet car amp)...how to bias?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is true that i don't have to touch the glass when i replace them?
Yes it is true. The acid in the oil of your skin will make the glass porous, this in turn will lessen the vacuum and hence shorten the life of your tube.

No it is not true...they will last a lifetime even with greasy fingerprints on them.

So it depends on what kind of person you are... a careful boy that listens to his mommy or the mean guy that gets all the chicks ;)

Handle the tube all you want, just wipe it off before buttoning up the case when you're finished. That way, the tubes will last longer and you'll still get all the girls. That's how I snagged my wife- she looked at my amplifier and said, "My goodness, those tubes do look clean."

I don't think that 1999 was what EC meant when he said "quite old." I thought taped boards went out of style back in the mid '80s, but apparently not.

00christian00 said:
Cool,now i know i have a pretty unique and old fashioned design.

Well, it isn't exactly old fashioned. Mixing sand and tubes is pretty new, and just a marketing move, not an expression of sound research IMHO. I would have been happier if your amp turned out to be a real SE of 5881, but with inflated power ratings... at least your ears would have been happier ;)

Q: What type of tube is used in the amplifiers?
A: All the TubeDriver BLUE car amplifiers use a 6SL7GT twin triode, one for each channel. This tube was specifically chosen for its thermionic output characteristics within the circuit.

Q: Do the tubes wear out? How often will I need to change the tubes?
A: The tubes are driven at less than 5% of their maximum rating and thus are not stressed like in a typical tube amplifier. Under normal use, they should not need replacement.

Q: Can I "tube roll"?
A: If the question means "can you change the tubes that come with the amplifier to another type", the answer is yes, and no. Yes, if you are skilled in electronics, you could change the tube. And no, it is not easily performed nor desired:

a) The tubes are soldered into place for reliability thus you would need to change not only the tube but also the mounting scheme in order to accommodate a different type of tube
b) The circuit is not designed to accommodate any other tube and no other tube type will perform better.

its all on there webpage :D http://www.butleraudio.com/carfaq.php#tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.