• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

opt question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

My trans is specified is to be used at 35-50mA. However, currently I am running it at much higher current (60-70). Does this have effect on the trans?
I dont know if it saturates or not, but so far it sounds fine. And the voltages measures ok, the trans does not get hot. Is this ok?

Should be fine, I would guess. The core might be saturating a little, but I would guess you would really notice if it was too bad- core saturation gives some naaaasty distortion. However seeing that a 2A3 only puts out a couple of watts anyway, shouldn't be a problem. You might not get great bass response though, if its on the edge of saturation.

I use some SE transformers designed for EL84 in my 2A3 amp, and no problems thus far. The manufacturer probably put a little bit of extra current capacity,

I can't imagine how it would shorten the life of the tubes or transformers- generally transformers either work fine or not at all.

If you were really worried, whack a bigger cathode resistor in the power tube to lower the current a bit.

A fully loaded transformer tends to give better regulation any ways. That is, the output voltage will be more resistant to change if the input voltage changes breifly and slightly

Most transformers have very genourous overload ratings. On the order of 200% for 30 seconds. However, I am sure there is a duty cycle associated with this

Unless something went haywire with your grid, I don't think you will have an issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.