• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Microwave + Computer = Tube? [help!]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hmm, now i'm interested in this. mainly the microwave transformer. i assume it was never meant for 60hz AC though. obviously i would need to run it from a lower input voltage! i really don't know much about the transformers in a microwaves.

i'm wondering if it would be possible to get a 250V-500V, 100-200mA supply out of one for a headphone amp. obviosuly this doesn't warrent 1000V+

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi theChris,
Please do not experiment with microwave (AKA nuker) transformers. They are designed to put out horribly high voltage.

People, you need extra skill to deal with this. Some have the knowledge, most of us do not - really. I think you are getting the drift reading the responses from everyone. You need to treat this with exceptional respect.

-Chris

Originally posted by Stocker
But seriously, Inhale...

You need to get a book that covers the very basics of electronics. Think 300-500 pages at least. Read all through it. Twice. Then (or before then) go read the high voltage safety thread here.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````
this is excellent advice

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0070571570/102-0923724-4748127?v=glance

robert l shrader's "Electronic Communication"

found in many librarys in the usa
early editions have more tube info

kevinkr said:
Another thought to those who would use a microwave power transformer to power a project - they really aren't rated for continuous operation! About a quarter of the heat blowing out of the vents of your typical microwave is from the power transformer..

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I wondered about that. Too bad, looks like it's back to Hammond. (..someone who learned HV on 20k+ VDC AM transmitters!)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are plenty of alternatives to hammond iron, although some of their transformers seem to be ok if you do not run them too hard.. Others are quite noisy even unloaded. Take a look on eBay as there are often stancor, chicago, utrad, triad and other more obscure brands up for sale for small $$, many are nicely potted milspec types. I have had some success finding transformers this way, but you do have to be patient. Another potentially excellent source of transformers are local hamfests, where such items can often be had for ridiculous money if you look hard enough and get there very early..

Re: I know that Avatar...

pinkmouse said:
I just hope that a director's cut version comes out soon without the atrocious dubbing...

On the short list of my all time favourite movies. The Alliance/Miramax DVD has the original Cantonese track with English subs and a second version of the movie with a few additional (to my mind superfluous) minutes added. If you're a regular fan of Asian movies, the DVD to find is from 'Universe Laser & Video Co.', available in my city at night markets or Chinese video stores for less than $10 CDN. The subtitles don't always adhere to the rules of proper English grammar but it preserves some of the cultural terms scrubbed from the North American release in the interest of wide appeal. Those who use scenes in their avatars have both. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.