A tubeNoob enters => I bought a Dynavox VR-70E - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2005, 09:14 AM   #1
dgo is offline dgo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default A tubeNoob enters => I bought a Dynavox VR-70E

Hi all,

After reading some enthousiastic reviews of this integrated tube amp, I decided to buy one to test if I'd like the tube sound and take my first step in Tube land. (I've never even listened to a tube amp)

It seemed like a very tempting affordable starting point (perhaps also for possible diy improvements) . Which also would prevent any real pain if this is going to be a disappointment.

It's got 4 EL34 tubes for the power amp and 2 6F2 for the preamp.

I've been playing around with the Tripath chip based amps lately, which I like very much. They are often described as having a tube-like sound. So I really felt I need to experiment with these as well then...

Any experiences with this amp?

I hope this trip will be a good one. In the mean time, I'll dive into the 'Tube learning for newbies' thread
Old 1st June 2005, 04:55 PM   #2
Banned

Wheres the pics ? Stereo or mono ? Did it work ?
Old 1st June 2005, 05:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekko
Wheres the pics ? Stereo or mono ? Did it work ?
That's what I'm hoping to find out next week when I hopefully receive it....

here's a pic though.

more pics at the eBay auction
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dynavox.jpg (41.4 KB, 688 views)
Old 2nd June 2005, 01:00 AM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I looked up the 6F2 and found that it is a triode/pentode so what I am thinking is that this amplifier both looks physically like and is probably a knock off of the Dyna ST-70.. The 6F2 is an obscure chinese/russian type which may be a little hard to get, but seem to be available from
http://www.diyhifisupply.com/

Kevin
Old 2nd June 2005, 07:57 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Does the girl come with?

dave
Old 2nd June 2005, 01:20 PM   #6
Banned

Shes prolly the seller :P
Old 2nd June 2005, 02:24 PM   #7
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

ill have one of each lol
Old 2nd June 2005, 03:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
Does the girl come with?

dave

let's hope not!
Old 2nd June 2005, 03:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr
I looked up the 6F2 and found that it is a triode/pentode so what I am thinking is that this amplifier both looks physically like and is probably a knock off of the Dyna ST-70.. The 6F2 is an obscure chinese/russian type which may be a little hard to get, but seem to be available from
http://www.diyhifisupply.com/

Kevin
thanks for the lookup!

On a german board, they are speaking about a replacement for these tubes.

There's some more info on that thread as well

http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?a...38&postID=last

I'm really anxious to find out how this chinese amp will sound...
Old 15th June 2005, 12:02 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, I don't really know what to say. I'm stunned, speechless.

Without having any tube experience as a reference: This amp sounds really, really good. And I've only run it for just one day.

I've been toying around a lot with the Trident chip based amps lately, so that's my latest reference. With very good results as well. I was really impressed (and I still am) by the performance of these little tripath amps in terms of dynamics, analytic and precise sound, very transparant, great stereo image and so on. The biggest challenge has been getting the LF dept right with these babies. Their biggest strengt h lies in the mid/high department. Before That I was mostly listening to a Cyrus Amp + PSX and my Yamaha. Both got blown away by the tripath amps.

Some remarks about it sounding 'tube like' really brought me to want to try out a tube amp, without really 'heavy' investing. Than this amp came on my way.

A first impression:
This is a totally different ballgame. Definately even more dynamic, excellent stereo image, nice warm sound in the low department, maybe not yet as defined here, but that may come. Amazing rich 'musical' sound. Voices and acoustic sounds really jump out in dynamic music (perhaps here's a comparison to be made with the t-amps) but it sounds more balanced, whole, rich. This is very, very good. I was listening with a friend and we both just kept quiet after the first couple of songs, just stunned and amazed. Very interesting to experience such a total different character compared to the t-amps, quite on the other side of the evolutionary time-line.

What will this baby have in stock for me weeks and months to come?

The last amp I listened to the most has been the unmodified reference 2021b tripath board on a 13,8V PSU. I like it a lot, but I really fear for it's place as 'resident amp' in the near future. Thank you Russia (or was it China ) I'm really happy I bought this, because I'm experiencing magic here, just like the first time I listened to a T-amp.

I'll take the opportunity to ask some questions which I didn't find a good answer to yet;

- One tube sometimes seems to produce a high pitch sound (like in an old telly, fortunately nothing near so loud) which comes and goes. This a sign of a bad tube or part of the burn-in period?

- It's got 4 EL34B tubes and 2 6F2 tubes. Can these just be replaced with any brand tube of the same type? Do you need to adjust the bias then? (For when I want to buy some spares. Recommendations?)
Obviously you can't judgde, but what kind of differences can one expect changing tubes with better ones? (not that I feel that I'm missing something right now, just curious)

- What's a normal burn-in time for these tubes?

Hide this!Advertise here!