plugging guitar amp to phono reciever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys, another easy one for you gurus out there. Can I run the output signal from my guitar amp to a stereo reciever instead of a speaker? I just recently got some very capable speakers for my stereo system, I dont have a "line out" output on my amp yet, I was thinking that I could solder the wires going to my guitar amps speaker to an RCA plug and go directly into my turntables reciever auxilliary input for some more volume...will this harm my stereo reciever or guiat amp head?

Pumping power (how many watts is your guitar amp?) into a low-level phono input is bound to fry something. (most likely the phono inputs)

You might have some luck plugging the guitar into the phono jacks on your reciever.It's worked for me before..
(Ie,Use the reciever as your amp.)

The phono input is meant for very low level signals,not amplified signals meant to drive a speaker. :)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> will this harm my stereo reciever or guiat amp head?

Your plan (speaker to AUX in) is MUCH too strong: you could literally fry the receiver input stages.

Also, playing live guitar through HiFi usually leads to tattered cones/domes (no matter how "very capable" those HiFi speakers are).

And it is not impossible to harm the guitar amp's power output stage.

If you must try to fry your new speakers: connect the HiFi speakers directly to the guitar-amp's speaker terminals, bypassing the internal speaker. I would not advise this! A few soft notes, no problem. I've known folk-singers work with HiFi speakers and live. But even a little Fender Champ could, with heavy playing, melt most HiFi speakers. The HiFi speaker, for the same watts, will probably not be as "loud" as the guitar speaker. Guitar speakers are tuned for maximum efficiency (sacrificing bandwidth) and also for maximum "loudness" (they sound louder than the acoustic power might suggest; they grab the ear).

> more volume...

"More volume" is usually NOT the answer.

And it is awful gosh-darn hard to beat the reliable SHOUT of a Fender Twin with a couple JBL E-120 or E-V's best lead-gitar speaker. Leo Fender worked hard on the big Twin amp's tone. Lansing worked hard on the 120's efficiency, mid-bass to midrange, and in E+ versions they are nearly unkillable. If you must have "more volume", there is the Marshal 8-10 stack with hundred-watt head. Ask Pete Townsend how he likes them (you will have to ask real loud).

At the very least you will need a DI (direct injection) box. They come in both active & passive versions, the active's generally sound better than all but the most expensive passives, however they need phanton power (48V) to operate which is normally derived from a mixing console. For passives the cheapest I could find is;

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Zdirect/

Make sure you plug your have all the attenuators engaged and you will need an XLR to RCA adaptor to go into your stereo. As other posters have indicated be careful with your speakers, guitars (particularly Fender-types) contain large amounts of spurious HF which is generally not a problem into a 12" cone or compression horn derived pro-sound system. However a dome tweeter may not be up to it.

IMHO the most outrageous size to volume award went to Mesa-Boogie many years ago!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.