• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mercury Magnetics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few years ago I remember reading about a hot new output transformer used in VTL amplifiers called “M.A.G.I.C.” It supposedly had quite extended bandwidth. I’ll bet Mercury Magnetics was the source of those. I remember chatting with Luke Manley at a Stereophile show back then and asking him if the M.A.G.I.C. transformers were available separately for sale. He didn’t say no, but said they would be very expensive. I never pursued it.

Mercury Magnetics might be worth pursuing for the DIYer. They’ve been around a long time. At least find out what their sales policies are.

Thanks for the responses.
I emailed them and Paul answered saying I should speak with Sergio and to be sure to tell whomever answered the phone that I wanted HIfi opt's, and apparently they will do small orders. Nothing is off the shelf, you have to tell them what you want although they do have a few available designs for different primarys. I saw a 3k and 5k, 25w iirc.

I also found about the VTL connection while searching the web, some years ago (don't know about the current situation) they did wind opts for them.

Andrew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.