• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

2a3, single plate-double plate?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have built the JElaBS 2A3 2001 EDITION ,sounds great
I hve tried different 6sl7 tubes and would like to try different
2a3 , In the text on the Angela website they recomend double plate ,not rare or vintage single plate. PLate dissapation is 17 watts. I have sovtek 2a3 now and those are single plate.
Does this mean the old RCA 2A3 are out , and what is the factor that determines that single plates are not optimum.

Jeff

I am currently building a 2A3 PP amp and I got a pair of matched Valve Art (double plate) and a pair of matched JJ (single). I can say that hum is much better with JJ (5mv vs 30mv!!) and bandwidth very similar. Square wave test gives sharper results with JJ while VA smooths out some local oscillations as well the edges. BTW prices of JJ are far higher. Can't say more as I am not finished with the first monoblock.

Ciao
Gianluca

In some data sheets max. dissipation is listed at 15W for 2A3. I believe this refers to the original RCA single plate version. The double plate version can tolerate a slightly higher dissipation. I think the original single plates are too expensive and rare to risk at more than 15W.

Sovteks, though single plate are a different animal and can be run harder.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.