2a3, single plate-double plate? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2005, 02:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2a3, single plate-double plate?

I have built the JElaBS 2A3 2001 EDITION ,sounds great
I hve tried different 6sl7 tubes and would like to try different
2a3 , In the text on the Angela website they recomend double plate ,not rare or vintage single plate. PLate dissapation is 17 watts. I have sovtek 2a3 now and those are single plate.
Does this mean the old RCA 2A3 are out , and what is the factor that determines that single plates are not optimum.

Jeff
Old 19th May 2005, 06:52 PM   #2
Gluca is offline Gluca  Italy
diyAudio Member

I am currently building a 2A3 PP amp and I got a pair of matched Valve Art (double plate) and a pair of matched JJ (single). I can say that hum is much better with JJ (5mv vs 30mv!!) and bandwidth very similar. Square wave test gives sharper results with JJ while VA smooths out some local oscillations as well the edges. BTW prices of JJ are far higher. Can't say more as I am not finished with the first monoblock.

Ciao
Gianluca
Old 20th May 2005, 11:30 AM   #3
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Well a 2A3 kinda looks like a parallel 45, so I would imagine 17W on an RCA double plate would be just fine...
Old 20th May 2005, 01:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

In some data sheets max. dissipation is listed at 15W for 2A3. I believe this refers to the original RCA single plate version. The double plate version can tolerate a slightly higher dissipation. I think the original single plates are too expensive and rare to risk at more than 15W.

Sovteks, though single plate are a different animal and can be run harder.
Old 20th May 2005, 02:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default plates

crystal clear . Thanks

Jeff
Old 30th October 2005, 09:03 AM   #6
robot is offline robot  Croatia
diyAudio Member

hello to all of you, I m preparing to built a 2a3 set amp. and I m interestied which tube is best buy according to sound and the price, which nos and new tube,

thanks,

Hide this!Advertise here!