Global Feedback in Push Pull Amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2005, 04:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Global Feedback in Push Pull Amps

I'm on my 5th and 6th Push Pull Amp projects.

Popular wisdom is that ANY global feedback slurs the phase response and destroys the stereo image.

In every case, however, I have found that a very small amount of global feedback (3 to 5 dB) actually improves the stereo image and makes it more focussed without making it any smaller.

Does this agree with your findings?
Is your experience different from mine?

Cheers,
Ian
Old 6th May 2005, 06:39 AM   #2
plovati is offline plovati  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default in SE also, I think

I run some experiment on a 6EM7SE and EL34SE, in my opinion a little overal feedback (actually 6dB) gives better balanced, equilibrated sound. Little impression, averaged over several weeks and with different music, but on the average I and a friend of mine prefer with feedback. Maybe because I used in both cases self winded transformer, surely of inferior quality to the commercial ones.
Old 6th May 2005, 07:12 AM   #3
plovati is offline plovati  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default PS

The amplis I tried with and without global feedback are all two-stage, so the phase rotation should be less than in a PP case, where there will probably be more gain stages, compared at the same quality level of output transformer
Old 6th May 2005, 08:37 AM   #4
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

My experience with messing about with feeback on PP amps is limited to one:

It was a KT88 own design. I arranged a feedback point in the cathode of the input valve. The circuit was such that rotatong the pot caused the feedback to vary between 0 and about 20dB, without change in overall gain. The amp was stable over the range.

With full feedback the sound was tight and sharp. Not dissimilar to a good SS amp.
With feedback at 10dB, it started to get looser, without any improvement.*
As the feedback was wound from 10 to 0, something strange happend: the image became substantially more open and real.

*On further investigation the distortion spectrum at this value had lost most of the even harmonics, the odd harmonics were still present.
Old 6th May 2005, 09:06 AM   #5
sajti is offline sajti  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I have almost same experience:

The PP amplifiers need some global feedback. The bass is not well controlled without feedback, if the output tube is pentode or tetrode.
So in this case I used 15-20dB feedback to get good bass response.
With ultralinear of triode, some 12-14dB is enough. This will gives better controlled sound, without slowing down the amplifier.
One thing is common: You need properly designed phase response, if You want to use global feedback. If no, You can get some oscillation, even for short times, depended by the input signal.
But global feedback is not solution for everything. If Your amplifier is not well designed (high distortion, poor phase response) the global feedback will not helps to repair it!

sajti
Old 6th May 2005, 09:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
With full feedback the sound was tight and sharp. Not dissimilar to a good SS amp.
With feedback at 10dB, it started to get looser, without any improvement.*
As the feedback was wound from 10 to 0, something strange happend: the image became substantially more open and real.

In full agreement. Pentode amps present a real dilemma - no feedback is obviously better for dynamics and images but the bass suffers and the distortion is often obvious.

Triode amps, otoh, consistently sound better without global NFB.
Old 6th May 2005, 09:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Quote:
The PP amplifiers need some global feedback. The bass is not well controlled without feedback, if the output tube is pentode or tetrode.

This is where, a little lateral thinking can be applied, how about a cathode feedback winding from the secondary of the the output to the output tubes to keep the output impedance down. And still achive good damping factor.
And no global feedback around the amp at all, to keep those mids and highs un-corrupted and true to life.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1106011421

Cheers George
Old 6th May 2005, 12:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I went from global feedback to none in UL PP amps. I preferred the natural, easy sound without feedback, but even in UL I couldn't get rid of a rather etched sound. When I went over to triode outputs the sharpness disappeared, leaving just a smooth, natural and very detailed sound. I'd never go back to pentodes or global feedback. To get the watts I just parallel up the smaller triodes - 12b4, 6S4A, 6CK4, 6AH4 and eventually 1626 when I get round to it (it'll need a few!) . You can use the double triodes too - 6BX7, that kind of thing. With a bit of lateral thinking you can use a whole stack of real triodes, and the sound - for me - is just on a higher level. I'm happy.
Old 6th May 2005, 12:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by georgehifi
Quote:

This is where, a little lateral thinking can be applied, how about a cathode feedback winding from the secondary of the the output to the output tubes to keep the output impedance down. And still achive good damping factor.
And no global feedback around the amp at all, to keep those mids and highs un-corrupted and true to life.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1106011421

Cheers George

The cathode feedback results high level of driving voltage. Large local feedback can results even 80-100Vrms, which can results distortion in the driver stage...

sajti
Old 6th May 2005, 12:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andyjevans
I went from global feedback to none in UL PP amps. I preferred the natural, easy sound without feedback, but even in UL I couldn't get rid of a rather etched sound. When I went over to triode outputs the sharpness disappeared, leaving just a smooth, natural and very detailed sound. I'd never go back to pentodes or global feedback. To get the watts I just parallel up the smaller triodes - 12b4, 6S4A, 6CK4, 6AH4 and eventually 1626 when I get round to it (it'll need a few!) . You can use the double triodes too - 6BX7, that kind of thing. With a bit of lateral thinking you can use a whole stack of real triodes, and the sound - for me - is just on a higher level. I'm happy.
Currently I use 12dB feedback in my PP triode connected 6550 amplifier. I found that the sound is more smooth, and the bass more powerful with it. I thinking to avoid the feedback, but I have redesign the driver stage, with lower gain.

sajti

Hide this!Advertise here!