Vacuum tube modeling software - beta testers wanted - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2011, 10:17 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrecords View Post
I have tried several times to get curve captor working on my Linux box without success. The Tcl part is no problem. My main problem is compiling the tubefit.c prog.

Any tips for getting this going?

Cheers

Ian
Oh, you give me a good indication there ...

The 3 files I download have no extentions ... I discover accidentally I have to add the ".tlc" extention to the "curvecaptor" file or the "ActiveState ActiveTcl" don't find it ... It was in the windows XP file association list ...

I was trying to make my first Spice model for a 6DJ8, I put the X and Y axis "markers" on, then a lot of "x" on the curves and I save them and load them back with no problems.

But when I get to the "Capture Curve" step, there was a bug, I get this message :

Click the image to open in full size.

Maybe, it is just because the "tubefit" file have no ".c" extension ...

I will try that and come back with the results ...

Alain.
Old 15th September 2011, 10:42 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Poitras View Post
Maybe, it is just because the "tubefit" file have no ".c" extension ...

I will try that and come back with the results ...

Alain.
No ... I still got the same error message ...

I will try to download the older version to see if there is any differences.

Cheers,

Alain.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:18 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finisvox View Post
Hi ,
I have downloaded the CurveCaptor 0.9.1 an then installed it, but after excecuting the command m4.exe, appears a DOS windows.... Now What ??
Could anybody say me where to find some basic "How to Use" guide, please ?
I have seen the trhead, but I can not found information about that.
Many thanks in advance.
The "models.m4" is not an executable file, it is just a "macros" file ...

To have the "CurveCaptor" program running, I have to add the ".tcl" extention to is file or nothing happen ... But I still have a bug when get to the "Capture Curve" step, maybe a file opening problem ...

Of course, you have to download and install the ActiveState ActiveTcl software first ...

Cheers,

Alain.

Last edited by Alain Poitras; 15th September 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:33 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Here's the details of the error I get ...

I use Windows XP service pack 2 ... Intel Pentium III 547 MHz ...

Anybody have an idea why it don't work on my computer ?

Cheers,

Alain.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:53 PM   #105
Klaatu is offline Klaatu  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Wink Its obvious !

You should have bought a MAC
Old 15th September 2011, 01:53 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here's the details of the error I get ...

I use Windows XP service pack 2 ... Intel Pentium III 547 MHz ...

Anybody have an idea why it don't work on my computer ?

Cheers,

Alain.

Hi Alain,
Which version of curvecaptor are you using? There is a precompiled Windows version available at sourceforge (curvecaptor-0.9.1-winxp.zip). Its sounds like you are trying to use the source code only version (curvecaptor-0.9.1.tar.gz). The source code version needs to be compiled and is primarily meant for Linux.

Curve Captor - Browse /curvecaptor/0.9.1 at SourceForge.net

~Mike
Old 15th September 2011, 02:05 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have tried several times to get curve captor working on my Linux box without success. The Tcl part is no problem. My main problem is compiling the tubefit.c prog.

Any tips for getting this going?

Cheers

Ian
Hi Ian,
You need the GCC compiler collection and MAKE installed to compile tubefit.c. Are you getting a error when you try to compile it? What flavor of Linux are you using?
I use Debian. If you're using Deb or one of its derivatives (like Ubuntu) I can email you a compiled tubefit executable to try.

~Mike
Old 15th September 2011, 05:50 PM   #108
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There was 3 files zipped, the "curvecaptor" file codes really all look like C but I think Tcl is some kind of C ... I can read it all with any text editor but the Crimson editor I download yesterday is very good, all the different kinds of code have different colors.

The "models.m4" file is a "macros" file used by the compiler or interpretor and the "tubefit" file just look as a binary datafile ...

I will have to study a little bit the Tcl language to understand all the codes, it is slightly different from the old C and C++ I use to work with,
TCL is not based on C at all. It is much more like a shell script. But as you say all programming languages share common concepts and mostly differ in syntax.

M4 is a text based macro language, not binary. Although it may be so "dense" that you don't make sense of it. One can write readable M4 but not all of it is.
M4 is not a sequence of steps. It is more like algebra then programming. The idea is that you make a series of substitutions and transformations, M4 is the rules for doing so.
Part of the readability problem with the M4 is that it is generating Spice models which themselves are quite cryptic. Generalized macros of spice might appear "double cryptic" or maybe "cryptic squared"? But make sense if you know both Spice and M4.
See here for more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_(computer_language)
Old 15th September 2011, 05:58 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
You should have bought a MAC
I used to suggest that too. But now I see that not everyone can afford a $600 computer ($600 is the current cost of a Mac Mini at Apple stores) . Especially when computers sell at Wallmart for half that price. I still do suggest it to anyone who can afford $600.

(BTW, it's "Mac" not "MAC")

Last edited by ChrisA; 15th September 2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 15th September 2011, 06:07 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Would help a lot of you post the output from the C compiler where it prints the error. Is there a "Makefile" in there? (sorry I forget) If so edit to suit then type "make". If not then type"gcc tubefit.c -o tubefit" and see what happens. Either it works or you are missing some files on which tubefit.c depends.

Just cut and past any errors here.

Once enough people learn how to use this we should make an effort to create spice models for the 100 or so most used tubes

Hide this!Advertise here!