An Important Read - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2005, 03:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default An Important Read

In my quest to find good reference material I came across a paper written by a guy named, Daniel Cheever, titled:

"A NEW METHODOLOGY FOR AUDIO FREQUENCY POWER AMPLIFIER TESTING BASED ON PSYCHOACOUSTIC DATA THAT BETTER CORRELATES WITH SOUND QUALITY"

The text can be as dry as the title, but it is more than worth reading. He has access to some test equipment that most of us can only dream about, but more importantly, seems to know what to look for.

The punchline...It seems that zero feedback SE actually TESTS better than conventional designs in some very key, but overlooked areas.

The paper is available here in pdf format:

http://www.next-power.net/next-tube/...b_menu_item=99

If your looking to expand your understanding as to why something sounds good/bad ,do yourself a favor and read it.
Old 29th April 2005, 12:33 PM   #2
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: An Important Read

Quote:
Originally posted by valveitude
[B...a paper written by a guy named, Daniel Cheever, titled:

"A NEW METHODOLOGY FOR AUDIO FREQUENCY POWER AMPLIFIER TESTING BASED ON PSYCHOACOUSTIC DATA THAT BETTER CORRELATES WITH SOUND QUALITY"

The text can be as dry as the title, but it is more than worth reading...

If your looking to expand your understanding as to why something sounds good/bad ,do yourself a favor and read it. [/B]

It looks interesting though I've only read the abstract. I don't know how much I'll understand but I am definitely interested in why some amps that have great tested specs don't have the emotional impact of some amps with "lesser" tested specs.
Old 29th April 2005, 12:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

It all makes sense to me his paper. I know from past discussions on this paper that a lot of people find it a piece of trash though.
Old 29th April 2005, 12:42 PM   #4
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe

Default Cheever Thesis

Yes, but it is an interesting read, then draw your own conclusions. I would rate it as less contentious than many things I read on audio forums
Old 29th April 2005, 12:47 PM   #5

Yep...that's all to it really...we each have to draw our own conclusions on it. My conclusion is that THD has not correlation with perceived sound quality.

Don't want to start a flame war...That is just my conclusion.
Old 29th April 2005, 01:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

When I found this paper, I tried to find some opinions on it. I didn't think to use "cheever" in the search...duh...I mean really duh. Once I did I discovered a lot of ...um...opinions.

Quote:
Yes, but it is an interesting read, then draw your own conclusions
Exactly, I read somewere that lots of feedback with lots of SS stages couldn't be beat .

Quote:
"If it measures good and sounds bad, -- it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, -- you've measured the wrong thing." - Daniel von Recklinghausen (Chief Engineer H.H. Scott)
A VERY smart man.

Casey

Hide this!Advertise here!