Tube amp volume fluctuation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2005, 10:07 PM   #1
Optical is offline Optical  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Tube amp volume fluctuation

I have a tube preamp and amplifier and the volume will suddenly drop or violently increase..

I have recently changed all the tubes in it so i dont think they were the cause..
Its possibly a faulty component somewhere would you think? none of the pots are scratchy..

could it possibly be the output transformer? the amp does this when hot or cold though..

i just dont know
Old 28th April 2005, 03:40 AM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Could be cracked solder to a pot though. Is this for guitar? If so, I always suspect effects loop jacks first. To test for that, take a spare guitar cord and plug it into the effects send, and the other end right back into the effects return. If this restores the sound, the retrun jack needs service.

If nothing else, use the two sections with other gear to see which is guilty.
Old 28th April 2005, 05:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I had this happen to me on a Ampeg SVT Guitar Amp - found a coupling capacitor (input to the driver stage) which fell in half when I prodded it with an INSULATED screw driver. Also could be a dry solder joint. Tap components to see if you can localise the problem and then a good visual inspection will usually reveal the faulty component or solder joint.
Cheers,
Ian
Old 28th April 2005, 09:33 PM   #4
Optical is offline Optical  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hmm, cracked solder joint eh?
yes it is for a guitar amp! it has no send or return on it through..
it is a really old amp, so perhaps resoldering all the joints and replacing some coupling caps would be a good idea anyway?
thanks for your advice

Hide this!Advertise here!