• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tango XE Output Iron (merged)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SILLY BILLY.

Hi,

Jorge,

Think about the other posters, the other threads being pushed up etc.

Some of his earlier posts have already been removed, maybe by himself.

Either way, it is just against the rules.

If you enjoy receiving thirty + e-mail notifications about a guy saying he's starting up some DIY business than I'll gladly bombard your mailbox just with copies from what I received.

Rules are rules, I already gave him a hint before and if he wants to be able to post later on he'd better give it some thought.

Ciao,;)

hi frank,

If I do something wrong, I say sorry to all in the forum.
I only want to share all I had. Ans all the diyers that can cost less but can enjoy more quality items.
Pls forgive for my motion.
very sorry.
For the opinion of the output. This is my opinion.
Why I do this???
Because I know In europe & America, the japan output sell in very high price. I don't know why. So I directly take to the factory & get a good price. I hope more people can enjoy more.
Pls be know that I not need to sell the item in here. I can sell in ebay. But as I say. For example the james output. The ebay price cost over USD 300 per pair. If I can supply in lower price that more diyer can effort.
I think, I would like to inform more diyer that I can do this.
Hope U will know why I do.
The picture I show was the amp I personal made. not for sell.
later U in my website U will saw MANY diyer in hong kong their items. We only want to share the experience & the flow that we can got quality products that made more people can enjoy it.

thanks

Thomas

hi ,

i agree that the performance as x2.7S is a good output but too large & expensive.

I test many different output in same circuit.
JE labs Deluxe 300b.

They got interest result.
I prefer the core not more than 20 watts & less than 120ma per one 300B SE output.

otherwise the output need many time to run in.

thnaks

Thomas

I too am starting to gather parts to build the Rankin 2a3. I bought a pair of Tango XE 20S myself. I am now searching and "scrounging" for the rest of the parts needed for me to build this amplifier. I will be using it for my horns in my two way speaker system. I have a pair of tad td-4001 compression drivers that will be powered by the Rankin 2a3 mono block amps. I am also ordering the marchand two way crossover kit to biamplifiy my speakers. I am still deciding on what chassis to use? IAG has a nice looking one with wood sides. Wellborne has some wood chassis boxes. Then there is always Hammond but that is my last choice. I am trying to figure out the rest of the parts I want to get. I have a shaft mount tool to use like an oversized but more powerful Dremel to use to cut the holes in the chassis metal tops. Maybe we can exchange some emails to see what parts we are going to use and exchange some ideas. This will be my "over the winter project." I have heard nothing but good things about Tango, and the Magnequest DSO25. For my power transformer I may go with the Magnequest, or the new c-core made by Tamura I am just starting to read about. These are selling for very little money. Then again the Magnequest power transformers are not that much more money. For 2a3 tubes I will test fire the amps with inexpensive Sovtek tubes. Then when all is done and it passes the smoke test I want to use the mesh plate 2a3 tubes. Good luck with your project!
Are you going to use a filament transformer for the rectifier tube? I am reading that this may cut the hum down a lot. Not important really unless you are running high efficient horn type speakers.
John C. - Framingham, MA

Tango XE iron

hi john,

Nice to hear U hear the tango iron.
I also using this too.
Recently I got three different OPT.
1. Hashimoto OPT from japan.
2. My OEM double C-core OPT from retire OLD tango technian MR. KENJI. Use telefunken core & japan XS series method to wire.
pls visit.

http://www.vt4c.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=155

3. My KENJI made Cobalt lamination.

http://www.vt4c.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=115

USA I saw sell in very expewnsive price, ebay too.

Magnequest Cobalt Audio Output Transformers Item number: 2203826680

Bidding has ended for this item (single_ended is the winner)

Go to larger picture Winning bid: US $523.00
Ended: Nov-22-03 07:51:33 PST
History: 1 bid (US $523.00 starting bid)
United States

The cobalt core is not big as mine oem from japan.
MY cobalt is slightly bigger than XE20S.

Pls visit my web & the forum for more detail.

www.diyaudiocraft.com.
I was glad to hear more comment from ALL.

very thanks for ALL.

thnaks

thomas

www.diyaudiocraft.com

Thomas

Is it me or is this forum a soap box in which to pitch your site and product? It seems that you are never heard from unless there is an opportunity in which to pitch the Japanese iron.

I bet I could probably dig up 5 or six pictures of your amplifiers that you have posted so far.

If your going to respond how about technical information and a picture of the transformer in question?

Just a thought

Joe

Tango XE iron

hi burnfingers,

do U know that some of USA iron also OEM in China.
HXXXXX was one of the brand name & call one of the factory in wunan to OEM.
I had many way to test in data or hearing test the different OPT otherwise I cannot to Build my brand OPT.
For the Japanese iron I was not said the best but they had very good spec. But I must also pass all of my hearing test in different conditions.
I also OEM some of the power trans in taiwan.
I use my method to make some low price but good quality product to benefit more Diyers.
pls see my new C-core power trans.
Do U feel good.

I can import all japan topest OPT into hong kong so I can get more techical data & hearing feeling in different brands.
Then try to OEM one but good quality & spec.
So cheaper............ more diyers can enjoy.

My OEM OPT core is from Germany, not japan but japanese to OEM. So its not a fully japan iron.
Pls study.

very thanks

thomas

www.diyaudiocraft.com

Attachments

• c-core power trans photo 004.jpg
    c-core power trans photo 004.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 872
Tango XE iron

fdegrove.

reckon OPT & choke is from mainland china.
Only USD 30 per one if order 50pcs,

John,

Tango XE20S is a good iron but the little bit not good is. Its use the different connect method in secondary winding to reflex to primary winding to change the primary Kohm.
But the New Hashimoto is 2.5K, 3.5K secondary is fix. 0~4~8~16.
The fix of secondary can give U more stable Bass.
I will test the performance & told U later.
I think may be I had more experience to share to other diyers about the different performance of different brand Japan OPT.
If U visit my site. I can supply.

Tamura, Tango, James, Hashimoto & Dabura OPT. All this is the topest from japan.

www.diyaudiocraft.com

I can supply cobalt, double c-core from germany & winding from japan to OEM trans.
So, this will benefit me to collect more data & the performance of different.
Let's compare the data.
Tamura F5003 5K SE had -2.7db on 20hz. 100K hz is -6.8db.
120khz -11.3db.
My OEM c-core 5K SE test 20Hz -0.1db. 100Khz -3.2db.
120khz -8.4db.

MY test use HP339A distortion measurement set every 1khz increase to test.

its quite exspensive but accurate.

Pls see the photo of the testing choke.
This is sample. 12H 250ma but parallel & seperate into 4 parts to prevent spark during high voltage.

for more information about this design.
pls visit.

http://www.ae-europe.nl/smoorspoelen.htm

U will see its very expensive.

thanks

thomas

Attachments

• my special order ultra low noise choke..jpg
    my special order ultra low noise choke..jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 927
Hi,

On the subject of opt's, has anyone here tried the plitron toroidal opt's by vanderveen?

What's regarded as the best type of tranformer for outputs, toroidal or other?

Frank what should one look out for when buying a SE opt (I know you prefer PP),
(I've seen differences in frequency response etc) in other words if you were looking to buy good iron what make/types would you be looking at?

Thanks
Raja

PS, no fights please, don't want this to follow the same course as the clock thread......;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

in other words if you were looking to buy good iron what make/types would you be looking at?

In Europe the Lundahl have a very good reputation.

From Holland you can buy the OPTs from AE.

There are a number of lesser known manufacturers in Germany and France also that I know of.

Than there's Bartolucci in Italy which show excelent specs and seem very nicely finished.

In the U.K. there's Sowter, S&B and a raft of smaller manufacturers as well.

The problem is that you can't all try them out without spending a small fortune on iron, so I usually go by reputation.

Having a very helpful distributor close by is also a plus IMO.

As you can see there's never been so much to choose from...

Cheers, ;)

opt's

Hi all,

continuing on the subject of opt's I sent an email to amplino regarding the 3025se opt. The question related to dc saturation, that is possible with torroidal types here's the reply;

Dear Raja,

Thank you for your e-mail.
You are right about the saturation by dc current for a normal toroidal transformer designed as supply transformer or push-pull output transformer.
Our range of SE transformers however are specially designed for Single Ended applications in which there has to be a dc current through the primary winding.
As you can see in the attached datasheet the VDV3025SE has a maximum saturation current IDC of 204mA, the optimal bias current for maximal (optimal) power would be 0,5x IDC = 102mA.
Your circuit diagram is that of a typical single ended amplifier, and 85mA is no problem at all.
I hope to have informed you sufficiently, but if you have any questions please contact us.

With best regards,

Henk te Selle
h.teselle@amplimo.nl

If I do buy opt's I think I'd stick to UK (where I live) or possibly europe, I've heard that importing costs into the UK can incur a customs charge of 20% and also VAT of 17.5% :bigeyes:
Kinda makes buying good iron from abroad very difficult if one doesn't have a stockist within the country.

Has anybody here ordered opt's etc from abroad and have an idea of what sort of costs one could incur?????

Thanks
Raja

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

If I do buy opt's I think I'd stick to UK (where I live) or possibly europe, I've heard that importing costs into the UK can incur a customs charge of 20% and also VAT of 17.5%

I'm not too sure about the UK as far as importing from outside the EU goes.

In Belgium you'd pay 21% VAT and an extra 9% of extra-EU import taxes.

For some obscure reason importing from the UK always was more expensive than from the U.S. regardless of that 9% extra-EU tax.

Somehow goods seem to have trouble crossing the Channel.:D

Now that there's the Chunnel all that may have changed....

Cheers,;)

Imports into UK from Outside the EU

I've done this several times, from the USA, Canada and the far east.

For electronic components of up to about £50 I have not been charged anything. I think I've been lucky as I think the limit is less than this.

For more expensive items (kits and a CD player) I have always been charged VAT at 17.5% and duty.
However, the duty has never been very much, only a few %; VAT and duty total is typically 22% or so.

There may also be an additional charge by the local carrier at this end for them doing the customs clearance. I seem to remember that this is somewhat variable.

If you reckon on about 25% total charges you probably won't be far out.
A 'quick and dirty' guesstimator that's remarkably accurate is that the list price (net dollar cost without taxes or postage) in dollars ends up very close to the final cost in pounds with carriage, VAT, duty, commissions etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.