Dressing up Ampex 2012 tube amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2005, 06:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dressing up Ampex 2012 tube amps

I'm seeking some ideas for dressing up a pair of Ampex 2012 tube amplifiers.

For several years now I've enjoyed using a pair of Ampex 2012 amps on my main stereo system. The 2012 amps were pulled out of a two channel Ampex reel-to-reel recorder. They are based on the 6V6 tube. Other Ampex amps with similar circuit topology include 612, 620, and 692.

I would like to dress these amps up a little, orient the tubes vertically instead of horizontally (see pix at URL below), and maybe find a way to stack them vertically. I like the front panels, which poses a problem in trying to orient the tubes vertically. I also like the "wrapped in wood" look similar to the BottleHead amps, which would be possible if I didn't keep the original front panels.

Here's a photo of my amps:
http://frontiernet.net/~whitfield/ampex_tube_small.jpg

Thoughts on how to dress these up a bit?

Thanks,
Art
Old 24th April 2005, 11:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to martinab2 Send a message via MSN to martinab2 Send a message via Yahoo to martinab2
If they were mine I would leave pretty much as is. Maybe a mesh cage and a second set of speaker connections somewhere less noticeable, but thats about it.
I guess you could rebuild into another case but then you will lose that 'retro original' look
Old 24th April 2005, 06:55 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I can't see putting it into a new chassis... i do wonder whether you could stand it on end on a little riser (connections facing down)

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!