opamp driving tubes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2005, 09:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking opamp driving tubes

I know i will get bashed if 'opamp' is mentioned in here.. I know you guys never listen to those plastic chips...

Anyway, I want to open a discussion about the possibility of using modern opamps to drive output tubes, especially in SE design. The advantages of opamp in ultra low distortion and noise is a strong advantage from technical aspect. Also, if the opamp is powered with +/-rails, no coupling cap is required. This is useful for people who cant live with the idea of having caps in their signal path. Furthermore, 'capless' designs tend to be expensive because more iron is need.
I am pretty sure this idea has been tested so I want to ask for opinions from those who has tried it.

I am thinking of using OP627 to drive 2a3. One of my concern is the output current requirement to drive output tube. I am not EE, but I think this should be easilly solved with a BUF634 buffer. Both of these chips has been used succesfully on SS preamp designs.

Suggestions?
Old 22nd April 2005, 10:15 AM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Op-amps generally run off +/-15V rails. A 2A3 needs about 45Vpk to drive it, whereas your op-amp can probably swing to 13Vpk. It's not current that's the problem, it's voltage.
Old 22nd April 2005, 10:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Sounds like a job for a chipamp!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 22nd April 2005, 10:41 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
Sounds like a job for a chipamp!
So then, what's the point of the output tubes and transformer after it?
Old 22nd April 2005, 12:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This is useful for people who cant live with the idea of having caps in their signal path.

Ah, yes, an opamp as a better alternative to caps, i like this

Once your design is complete you may further improve it by replacing the tubes with transistors and getting rid of the output iron.
Old 22nd April 2005, 12:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
Once your design is complete you may further improve it by replacing the tubes with transistors and getting rid of the output iron.
Now that might just catch on.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 22nd April 2005, 01:34 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Or you could use one of those hideously expensive Apex high voltage opamps. Compared to the usual tube driver stage, you'll reduce the distortion of the complete amplifier from 6% to 5.999%. And expensive is always better.

Sorry, don't mean to be facetious, but there's not much logic to doing this. Compared to the worst coupling capacitor ever made since the days of Leyden, the distortion of the SET output tube/transformer is massively larger.
Old 22nd April 2005, 08:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Quote:
Originally posted by Brett

So then, what's the point of the output tubes and transformer after it?
Placeholders on the chassis.

So yeah if you must use SS to drive tubes... use a discrete driver that can handle the voltage required.

Note that this will result in the exact SS analog of the tube driver stage you are replacing.

Tim
Old 22nd April 2005, 11:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default opamp driving tubes

adjust the feedback values to obtain the desired gain and bandwidth.

the power supply rails at this example are +/- 32 volts, but depends of the opamp, you could carry them to +/- 36 volts.

if you only need 45 volts peak to peak, a good start is a power supply of the +/- 24 volts with a 5534 op amp. I think that the 5534 will work fine up to +/- 32 volts, but you need to check the voltage at pin 4 & 7.

I chose a single opamp because they have low crosstalk, remember the output voltage 45 volts peak to peak, but you can use a dual opamp with +/- 18 volts maximum supply rating

the circuit has black background, if you can't see nothing, please contact me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg level translator.jpg (86.5 KB, 806 views)
Old 23rd April 2005, 08:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Op-amps generally run off +/-15V rails. A 2A3 needs about 45Vpk to drive it, whereas your op-amp can probably swing to 13Vpk. It's not current that's the problem, it's voltage.
Yes, that is the first limitation. I was thinking of interstage trans to solve this.. but this will limit the design to a good interstage trans, thus offset the cost reason.

[quote]Sounds like a job for a chipamp! [quote]
Yes, can be another alternative.

Quote:
Ah, yes, an opamp as a better alternative to caps, i like this.
Like I said, this thread is not for anyone who cant live with opamps. Personally I find nothing offending with opamps.

[quote]adjust the feedback values to obtain the desired gain and bandwidth.

the power supply rails at this example are +/- 32 volts, but depends of the opamp, you could carry them to +/- 36 volts.

if you only need 45 volts peak to peak, a good start is a power supply of the +/- 24 volts with a 5534 op amp. I think that the 5534 will work fine up to +/- 32 volts, but you need to check the voltage at pin 4 & 7. [quote]

Some opamps can go up to 34V p2p, but those opamps does not have the sonics I would like to integrate.

Hide this!Advertise here!