• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE Output Primary Impedence

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I have been re-reading an article in the April 2004 issue of Audio Express titles "Easy-to-Build, Low-Cost SE Amp". The subject of the article uses 12L6 output tubes to yield about 3.5 watts.

In researching these tubes, the output power is stated for a 4000 ohm load. I assume that the 4000 ohm load would be the impedance of the output transformer primary.

If I was to parallel a second output tube in order to obtain more power, would I need to halve the transformer primary impedance?

Thank you.
Mike L.

getting rid of DC

hello,

I've been to an audio-show and it gave me some stuff to think about.

There was an philosophy about getting rid of the d.c. in SE output transformers.....
This is done by putting a coil in the anode line....At the output of the tube you place a capacitor that goes to the output-transformer....
Now you don't have the dc in the outputtransformer...

(in depth info will be available on www.mennovanderveen.nl)

Will this sound nice??? i think so, what are your ideas about this????

Re: getting rid of DC

kathodyne said:
This is done by putting a coil in the anode line....At the output of the tube you place a capacitor that goes to the output-transformer....
Now you don't have the dc in the outputtransformer...

This is known as choke-loaded shunt feed, or more commonly known nowadays, as parafeed. You might be able to dig up a few more references and opinion about the "sound" of this type of circuit by searching for "parafeed"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.