Heresy? Replacing tube rectifier w/Weber Copper Cap - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2005, 08:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Heresy? Replacing tube rectifier w/Weber Copper Cap

Sorry if I offend some with this question. I've been told by a couple of tube-heads (one a guitar amp guy) by replacing the rectifier tube with a Weber Copper Cap an amp will run cooler and will have more reserve power. Any truth to this? If so, will this make a better sounding tube amp?

Thanks

Sam
Old 18th April 2005, 08:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Before i may or may not feel offended could you please explain what is a Weber Copper Cap?
Old 18th April 2005, 08:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

http://www.thetubestore.com/wb-wca4.html
Old 18th April 2005, 08:34 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Assuming it's just some silicon rectifiers in a copper package, it will do all that's claimed. But... you have to be careful that there are no components in the amp which require a slow warmup time. And there really won't be that much more power, maybe not even enough to be noticeable. And it may change the amp's overload characteristics.

But, hey, it's $20, not $200. Give it a try.
Old 18th April 2005, 08:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
you have to be careful that there are no components in the amp which require a slow warmup time.
Thanks, Sy

From Weber's website: "has linear in-rush current limiting to simulate the warm-up of a tube rectifier, however, it is in the 1 to 2 second range, rather than the 7 to 9 seconds of a typical rectifier tube"

http://www.webervst.com/ccap.html
Old 18th April 2005, 11:56 PM   #6
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Assuming it's just some silicon rectifiers in a copper package, it will do all that's claimed. But... you have to be careful that there are no components in the amp which require a slow warmup time. And there really won't be that much more power, maybe not even enough to be noticeable. And it may change the amp's overload characteristics.

But, hey, it's $20, not $200. Give it a try.

Hey,, I think I saw a bin of hundreds of those in a local plumbers supply house when I was installing the gas dryer here.

Seems to me, years ago radio electronics had a "How To" on a near look alike. I think it was praised more for reliabilty back then. Long time ago so dont quote me on that lol
Gene
Old 19th April 2005, 12:13 AM   #7
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Many years ago (when I was a mere stripling) I bodged an EL84 amplifier. I didn't have room on my chassis for the EZ81 that was supposed to be there, so I used 2 x BY127 (silicon). The amplifier had bags of power. When I was able to borrow a multimeter, I found out why. The HT was nearer to 430V than 300V. The (Mullard) EL84 finally expired in a firework display from my abuse...
Old 19th April 2005, 04:15 AM   #8
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry if I offend some with this question. I've been told by a couple of tube-heads (one a guitar amp guy) by replacing the rectifier tube with a Weber Copper Cap an amp will run cooler and will have more reserve power. Any truth to this? If so, will this make a better sounding tube amp?
If the filament winding for the rectifier shares the core with the plate supply, the B+ will likely go up, possibly above maximum recommended for the output tube. If you are using Chinese or Russian tubes, things are dicey enough. I'd stick with the 6CA4; they're cheaper and probably sound better.

Quote:
careful that there are no components in the amp which require a slow warmup time.
...like output tubes.

John
Old 19th April 2005, 04:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jlsem

If you are using Chinese or Russian tubes, things are dicey enough. I'd stick with the 6CA4; they're cheaper and probably sound better.

John

The more I search the internet I see where this mod. using Weber is used mostly with guitar amps. Not sure why.

I am going with a set of 4 Russian equivalent 6bm8, SVETLANA made 6f3pi. Your advice is welcomed.

Sam
Old 19th April 2005, 04:36 AM   #10
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The more I search the internet I see where this mod. using Weber is used mostly with guitar amps. Not sure why.
Probably because the so-called "more reserve power" is really just more louder distortion.

Replacing tubes is a way of life with gui-tar players. So much so, they keep Russian tube manufacturers in business. Which is why we audio guys are stuck with EL34's, 6L6's, and the like to play with...yawn.

John

Hide this!Advertise here!