• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is it possible - 6922 Active X-over running with ~ +/- 40V ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have plans to build an active 2 way speaker design using a Jordan JX92s (already have them) and mating with another 10 incher, and tubes are high on my list.

It seems whatever 6922 tube active x-over circuit design available at the moment (that I know of) runs with high voltage (above 100v). I'm not sure bout Marchand though.

Is it possible to run the 6922 at lower voltage (below 50v) which then allows large capacitance PSU to be used ?

Anyone with such a circuit ?

regards,
Will.

Will said:
Is it possible to run the 6922 at lower voltage (below 50v) which then allows large capacitance PSU to be used ?

You've lost me, why is that specifically necessary?

I don't know what kind of active circuit you intend on using, but chances are it needs to be at least partially direct coupled for stability, and that demands voltage. Even tubes in general do not like <50V.

Tim

Based on the fact that 6922s are widely used as buffer circuits, running them with low voltages (below +/- 50v) allows a large PSU capacitance to reduce noise/hum without having to resort to chokes.
The active x-over circuit I'm referring to is a 4th order L/Riley.

regards,
Will.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can run 6922s on that low a voltage (Joe R uses +/- 35 V on his buffer in the TBIGC), but they work better with higher voltages.

Remember that the power supply is critical to the sonics of the amp and caps are probably the most colorful of all passive components -- no electrolytics is a good goal, and those get really big & really expensive if you want to use lots of C.

dave

planet10 said:
You can run 6922s on that low a voltage (Joe R uses +/- 35 V on his buffer in the TBIGC), but they work better with higher voltages.

dave

That's exactly my point Dave...
I agree running with higher voltages will sound better, and it's easy to get away with +/- 40 volts, which requires 50v rated cap to do the job.

Come on, do you really think I'm going to use one single large cap for the job ? Simple solution - just parallel multiple 1000uF caps (probably 20 of them)

regards,
Will

Konnichiwa,

Will said:

It is POSSIBLE, but why bother?

The cost for making the PSU something like +/-160V and thus the more linear is quite notional.

Instead of 20 pcs 1,000u/50V, buy a simple pair of
115+115V: 9V+9V mains transformer, operate one "reverse" and use a pack of 6pcs 100uF/250V capacitors with a set of 1K resistors (final values of R & C would depend on exact current drawn) and you get a well filtered +/-160V for no more money than your "big cap" supply and things will sound better too.

Sayonara

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Is it possible - 6922 Active X-over running with ~ +/- 40V ?

Kuei Yang Wang said:
115+115V: 9V+9V mains transformer, operate one "reverse" and use a pack of 6pcs 100uF/250V capacitors with a set of 1K resistors (final values of R & C would depend on exact current drawn) and you get a well filtered +/-160V for no more money than your "big cap" supply and things will sound better too.

What Thorsten said... this is how the P/S looks on one of his RIAAs....

Me i'd grab a pair of the 115-->115 V 170mA isolation transformers that are surplus from old-style razor plugs.... quite a few in my stash

dave

Konnichiwa,

Will said:
Okay, lets not go off topic shall we ?

Anybody with a 2 way L/R 4th order active cross over circuit using 6922 running off at +/- 40volts ?

Take any existing circuit using +/-150V or so and adjust the cathode resistors to get the same current flow at lower voltages. Of course this will severely limit linear swing and increase distortion hugely, which is wy we all recommend to you to use a simple higher voltage supply!!!!

Sayonara

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Will said:
Okay, lets not go off topic shall we ?

Anybody with a 2 way L/R 4th order active cross over circuit using 6922 running off at +/- 40volts ?

Not likely... most will have higher rails... you will likely have to adapt something. TubeCad has a good bit on active XOs... You'll need 3 cathode followers per filter minimum -- ideally with CCS in the tails.

dave

Attachments

• lr tube x-over.jpg
    lr tube x-over.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 131
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.