Necessary equipment/tools for building - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2002, 01:39 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

While a scope may be valuable, it isn't necessary. A test CD, multimeter and soldering iron can take you far.

Have a look at my breadboard amp below. No metalwork necessary!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bboard1.jpg (37.5 KB, 504 views)
Old 8th September 2002, 02:08 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Jeff, guess what immediatly came up my mind while looking at Your breadboard .......oscillllllllationnnnnssss

By no means I would like to fire up something like this without help of a scope.
Old 8th September 2002, 06:38 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

>>guess what immediatly came up my mind while looking at Your breadboard .......oscillllllllationnnnnssss<<

>>By no means I would like to fire up something like this without help of a scope.<<

Your fears are much worse than reality. In a couple of years and dozens of circuits, I've had one problem with parasitics and that time I was asking for it. (I was using LED bias on a high gain pentode and had rigged up an unwieldy arrangement to swap in different LEDs rapidly.) Now, if I were using lots of valves designed for RF, I'd tend to agree with you, but it is not necessary with the low gain stuff I like to use.

Still, if I had access to a scope, I'd use one, but I don't let not having one stop me from experimenting. If you wait until you've got everything you think you need to build the perfect amp before you're willing to begin, you wont ever start!
Old 8th September 2002, 10:09 AM   #14
Banned

Hi cocolino! thank you very much.

My mainframe is not 7503 but 7504, and it has a readout.

Its calibrated 0103 and with original manual.

so i understand right 7000 is better than 465, only disadvantage maybe the size?

I ll stay with it and start collecting plugins...

Now i have to learn how to use it.
Old 8th September 2002, 02:12 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Till:

as I`m not a pro EE technician, I`m not really in the position to evaluate which of the scopes is actually "better" from the technical piont of view. So maybe someone of the professionals here like Mr. Haller or somebody else additionally like to comment about this.

All I want to say is that the Series 7000 is (and that`s for sure) the most versatile/ universal scope family due to the plug-in technique and likely this is one of the reasons why this kind of instruments were sold in huge quantities and are still used by many pros all over the world (and thanks to this they are easily avaible to afforable prices for us DIYers).

The only problem with them is that due to their age this instruments may need maintenance once in a while. But I guess this applies to the 465 and others of that time as well.
And yes, size might be a restriction, my 4-slot mainframe is really a monster scope.....but I like it .

Quote:
Still, if I had access to a scope, I'd use one, but I don't let not having one stop me from experimenting. If you wait until you've got everything you think you need to build the perfect amp before you're willing to begin, you wont ever start!
Jeff, You are so right with this !!!
And indeed that`s the reason why I stopped experimenting and building a while ago and gathered equipment instead (this costs lots ot time because often must be cleaned and repaired).
One reason for this is that I have to compensate my quite limited electronic knowledge (I`m rather a speaker builder guy) by instrumental checks to proof what I have done. I agree that an expert won`t need so much instrumentation because he KNOWS that his work functions properly.
The other reason is that I`m kinda perfectionist and want to have everything under my control if at all possible and to be sure having not only avoided bugs but exhausted all the potentially performance of my constructions. This is not always possible with knowledge alone.
At the moment (not always) I`m confidential to get through all this and back again to experimenting and building and then things become better than ever.
Old 8th September 2002, 04:18 PM   #16
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Jeff,

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff mai
are you competing with J.Epstein or D.Slagle for the cliplead award 2002 ?
Old 17th September 2002, 08:46 AM   #17
Banned

After solving the topic scope, i want to put the focus back to signal generators.

The option to build one by myshelfs seems to fail in the intrinsic THD of the generator -- datasheet of ICL8038 says about 1-2% .... generators made of opamps or so need caibration, how to do calibration?

For scopes i understood Tek is good, and 7000 recommended, so i followed this. (I tested and played around with some different scopes last weeks, and like 7000 most.)

Now, any advice which signal / funktion etc generator to use?

http://www.exar.com/products/tan005.pdf
Old 17th September 2002, 10:03 AM   #18
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Signal generation

I am lucky to have a good audio signal generator.
If I did not, I would not build one.
IMO a reasonable quality CD player exceeds the performance of all but the best signal generators.
I actually do use a CD player as an accurate level reference.
You can record test disks with a computer CDR and freeware tone generator application. Even though the disk will have occasional imperfections, it will be perfectly useable.
Old 6th October 2002, 10:57 PM   #19
ofb is offline ofb
diyAudio Member

Default software oscilloscope?

as a neophyte i have to ask the idiot question,

lacking a real oscilloscope, is the software variation useful as a starter?

http://polly.phys.msu.su/~zeld/oscill.html

i've got an old laptop i can dedicate to this.
Old 6th October 2002, 11:04 PM   #20
Banned

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1774125441

Hide this!Advertise here!