• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

what is the cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i need a cap on the circuit board in the picture, it is the silver axial in front of the orange drop. i am told it is made of a squishy rubber or plastic or sumthing as opposed to polypropelene or a harder plastic, im not very sure how true that is though. i am also told that they are very high quality and very expensive and are only found in high end audio equipment. it is a multisection 0.01µFx2 not sure about the voltage.it looks like a regular rolled up poly and metal film cap. i would be happy with a single section cap or any info on this at all. anyone know anything or ever seen this cap.

Attachments

• clyde_halo.jpg
    clyde_halo.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 402
hi_im_sean said:
i searched and searched for a "vulgar" cap, didnt find anything anywhere about them, are you sure its not vishay maybe. or could you elaborate, thanks

:D Ahahahah... he didn't mean that! He wanted to say that this cap looks like the standard ones you can get anywhere... so vulgar meaning very popular.

Stick whatever audio-graded one... but I think even them are just hype. Use whatever you can get... just the right value...

well you see... i agree with you giaime, but my boss, the one who posed this question to me ,thinks its some special, cool rare cap, but i keep arguing with him that it is some sort of rolled up film and foil cap and to just use a high quality equivelent like an auracap or solen's fast caps. i bet you wouldnt even notice the difference since it is for a guitar wah pedal going into a guitar amp, so i dont think there is any reason to be anal about that one cap, especially for a guitar.

Tube_Dude said:
Hi Sean

This type of capacitors (polystyrene ) are used in circuits , where low loss and low tolerance are crucial.

If you can't find one of this , use a low tolerance polypropylene type .

Yes, but for critical oscillators/radio things, for audio I remember that someone tried many types of plastic capacitors and posted the graphs. Polystyrene had a very bad attitude, maybe it introduces some non-linearities that make a wah sound good... I don't think so.

Prepare a blind test for your boss: use 2 indentical wahs, one with a cheap cap and one with a polystyrene cap. I bet he will prefer the cheap cap...

The silvery one is a regular type Styroflex, or Polystyrene as Carlos mentioned, generally called Silver Mica on this site.

Siemens made lower cost versions like the one you posted, the B31861 series.
The absolute best up till today are the Orange Siemens B31531 series, Rifa made the excellent PHE 425 Styroflex.
Styroflex's go up till around 56 nF.
I used the B31531 for RIAA networks, cost around $3.50 the piece.

A general Siemens 0.01 uF styroflex version measures about 1/3" x 2/3".

Attachments

• rifa.jpg
    rifa.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 199
jacco vermeulen said:
The silvery one is a regular type Styroflex, or Polystyrene as Carlos mentioned, generally called Silver Mica on this site.

Polystyrene capacitors and Solid Silver Mica capacitors , are not the same thing.

The Polystyrene use a plastic film (polystyrene ) as dielectric and the Solid Mica use Mica as dielectric .

Usually the Solid Mica , have even higher performance then the Polystyrene.

Thanks Jorge,

i figured they were the same, and it was a language thing.
In Germany styroflex caps are called glimmer capacitors, which generally is used for mica.

What was called a mica capacitor here, was used for radio purposes,glass audio, and military applications in the past.
Often variable trim caps, up till 20 nF, with 5% accuracy.
Styroflex can have a 1 % tolerance.
I had no idea they are still produced.
Can you name a few manufacturers and the sizerange of Silver Mica's ?

BTW, polystyrene caps have neither 'bad attitude" nor significant nonlinearity. Their main drawback is temperature sensitivity- it doesn't take much heat to ruin them.

Silver mica is just the opposite- very nice to use when trapped in a hotbox tube amp.

The one thing they have in common is that they're easily available in small values and tight tolerances.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.