Valve Identification-Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2005, 07:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Valve Identification-Help

I have just opened my Audio Research SP9 Mk11(a recent purchase) to check the type of valve installed. They are marked E88CC in white lettering about one quarter the way up the valve and have SQ in large white lettering above that. There appear to be no other identifying marks on the valve and base. Do I have a desirable Philips SQ valve, a lesser valve or a counterfeit. Grateful for some advice before I spend money on replacements!
Old 11th April 2005, 07:47 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I know very little about valves but here's an attempt to answer part of your question.
E88CC is the high grade ECC88 which is a double triode.
I was told by an older technicians who grew up with valves.

(No flame war of elders amongst us please)

/Hugo
Old 11th April 2005, 10:14 PM   #3
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
E88CC = ECC88, but fancy.

longer life or better shock handling or something along the lines of that.
Old 11th April 2005, 10:18 PM   #4
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
forgot the datasheet.. here's one that says all the special features. for use at home, the difference is not a hell of a lot, really.

might matter in a bomber or a missle.. but not on your coffee table. http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/128/e/E88CC.pdf
Old 11th April 2005, 11:32 PM   #5
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

A real NOS E88CC tends to be less microphonic than a real NOS ECC88. Can't comment on recent production.
Old 12th April 2005, 10:51 AM   #6
Banned

Its a Special Quality ECC88 (6DJ8 and 6922) and i have been told that ECC88, E88CC, 6DJ8 is a bad tube for audio.
Old 12th April 2005, 11:04 AM   #7
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekko
Its a Special Quality ECC88 (6DJ8 and 6922) and i have been told that ECC88, E88CC, 6DJ8 is a bad tube for audio.
You'd better let Audio Research know because they use them by the truck load!

The ECC88 family is very useful for audio.
Old 12th April 2005, 11:41 AM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekko
Well, that's it. Toss those Marantz 9 amps in the dumpster.
Old 12th April 2005, 12:46 PM   #9
tuben is offline tuben  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Tekko said
"Its a Special Quality ECC88 (6DJ8 and 6922) and i have been told that ECC88, E88CC, 6DJ8 is a bad tube for audio."

Comments like this should be followed with some arguments that support the opinion..........or not be spoken at all.

Tuben
Old 12th April 2005, 01:03 PM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

No, it's more a matter of Audio Urban Legend rather than anything that can be supported factually. And I even know how it started- many years ago, one of the "audiophile" tube suppliers sold a pile of 6ES8 (a variable mu triode) labelled as 6DJB/ECC88. These tubes were, unsurprisingly, quite nonlinear. There was even an article in Glass Audio about how horrible 6DJ8 triodes were. So despite the fact that there was one batch of nonlinear tubes sold by an uscrupulous merchant which weren't even 6DJ8s, and thousands of batches of perfectly fine 6DJ8s sold over the decades and used in classic equipment, the legend stuck. And no number of counter-examples will kill that legend.

Hide this!Advertise here!